This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

So you recently started to date a guy who is into golf, and you know nothing about the sport? Here is your practical guide on what to know, what to wear, and how to enjoy it.

What Is Golf?

Golf is considered one of the most frustrating sports to play. The main object of the game is to hit the ball into the hole using as few strokes as possible. To be good requires knowing how to swing the club, hit the ball, and read the course. If you are anything like me, you know none of those things. So here are some basic terms you should know:

Tee Box – The place where a player starts every hole, and this is the only place you use a tee to hold the ball.

Fairway – The area between the tee box and the green.

The Green – The area containing the hole that you are aiming for.

The Rough – The area with tall grass surrounding the fairways.

Driver – Largest club in the bag, only used when hitting the ball off the tee.

Iron – Clubs numbered 2 through 9, used when hitting the ball on the fairway.

Pitching Wedge – Club used to hit the ball when you are close to the green to hopefully land on the green.

Putter – Club used to hit the ball into the hole when you are on the green.

Par – The number of strokes needed to complete a hole. Good golfers try to be under par.

Fore! – Someone just yelled this because there is a golf ball flying very close to where you are standing.

What To Wear?

Golf clothes are cute! But they also change depending on the course and the time of year. Some courses require a dress code (i.e., shirt collar, “appropriate length” shorts/skirt). If you go to a less strict course, your attire can be less conservative.

My recommendation is to get one or two athletic skorts and two to three tops. I have two colored athletic polos and one collared tank top that are comfortable for me. I also have a pullover collared jacket for colder days. You can also get a golf dress if you find one that fits your style. For shoes, a simple pair of athletic sneakers work well. I tend to wear my hiking sneakers since they have more traction when the grass is wet. Lastly, do not forget a pair of sunglasses and a hat!

What To Bring To The Course?

What you bring depends on what you will be doing on the course. Are you going to start your golfing career to become the next Nelly Korda, or do you just want to spectate in order to spend more time with your boyfriend?

If you are a spectator, bring lots of water, snacks, a charged phone, and maybe a book. If you are a spectator but still want to feel helpful to your boyfriend, look for lost balls in the woods or the streams (but be careful of golf balls in action). If you want to participate in the action, you will need a bag of clubs to use. I was fortunate enough to have my moms to use until I received a used pair for my birthday (yes, be prepared to receive golf-related gifts if you decide to start golfing). If you cannot find a pair to borrow, hopefully, your boyfriend will be willing to share his with you until you have your own.

What To Do While Your Boyfriend Is Golfing.

Here are my three rules to follow while on the golf course with your boyfriend that will make him happy you came along with him:

First, always stand behind him when he is swinging. Unless your boyfriend is Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson, his golf skills are probably sub-par. To avoid getting hit with a ball, stay behind the swing, not in front or to the sides. Make sure the distance is far enough away that you also do not get hit with the backswing of his club.

Second, do not talk during his swing/put. If you are a chatty person like me, it is hard to keep quiet when you are supposed to. But trust me, he will want quiet while he is trying to concentrate on hitting the ball.

Third, help him watch the ball to where it lands. Yes, I know it is hard to follow the tiny white ball when it hits the sun, but he will appreciate the effort that you are trying to be helpful. Instead of following the whole path of the ball, my advice is to scan the area where you think it will land. You will have better luck seeing the ball there instead of trying to find it in the sky.

Bonus: Take pictures and videos of him! What guy doesn’t love to post or share sports action pictures with his friends? My boyfriend loves when I take a video of him swinging the club unknowingly, and it happens to be a great hit. Even if the swing is bad, he gets to see what he is doing wrong and will appreciate the opportunity to correct it.

So you follow all of these guidelines and discover you actually like golf? Yes, it can happen. It happened to me. It is not such a bad thing. Golf is a lifelong sport, a great way to stay active, and an effective way to bond with your boyfriend, your brothers, your dad, your grandfather, or even the women in your life that also like to golf!

If you want to improve your game, take lessons. People of all ages take golf lessons. I took lessons with my grandfather from a family friend of ours this summer, so do not be afraid. Besides, the sport becomes way more fun if you actually know what you are doing!

Sydney is a senior at Penn State University majoring in Telecommunications with a minor in Digital Media Trends & Analytics. In her free time, she enjoys reading, trying new recipes, sports, and discovering new places to visit.