9 Things Every Single Girl Wants This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, girlfriends are anxiously awaiting their boyfriends surprising them with all sorts of gifts from chocolate and roses to stuffed animals and dinner reservations. But for the single girls this Valentine’s Day, there are some things they want even though they aren’t in a relationship.

1. Someone to tell us we’re pretty

This sounds so cliché, but it’s true. Nothing boosts a girl’s confidence more than having someone say, “Hey, ____, you look really nice today,” or, “I really like the way you’re dressed today,” on the day where everyone else in the world is coupled off. A simple compliment from a friend or even a stranger on this day would turn someone’s day around.

2. A cuddle buddy

Nothing is better than having someone come over and watch How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days or The Notebook when you’re feeling sentimental and need a good cry. All we need is someone to hang out and share blankets with, especially when Noah uses his line, “If you’re a bird, I’m a bird,” line.

3. Someone to check up on us

Whether it’s a phone call, a quick text or a silly Snapchat of something that reminds him of you, all girls really want is for someone to care about them. A simple, “How’s your day going?” or, “This made me think of you,” goes a long way in a girl’s eyes.

4. Wine

A wise man once said, “Wine is like duct tape. It fixes everything.” Okay, maybe it wasn’t a wise man, but it is written on a glass in my apartment. If we single girls can’t have a boy to cuddle with, we’ll be satisfied with the second best option: WINE. Sit down with your girls on the couch, watch a sappy movie, and get sipping!

5. Food and chocolate

Nothing says “Happy Valentine’s Day” like a nice Chipotle burrito bowl and a box of heart chocolates to eat… even if they came from your best friend. The saying goes, “The best way to someone’s heart is through their stomach,” which couldn’t be more true.

6. Flowers

Even if it’s not an, “I love you,” bouquet of roses or, “Will you be my girlfriend?” single flower surprise, those people that hand out the flowers in the HUB actually do make someone’s day. The thought of being given a flower simply because it’s the day of love is something every girl desires.

7. Nicholas Sparks

Whether or not it is in movie or book form, Nicholas Sparks knows exactly how to get to a girl’s emotions and knows exactly what we want on this Valentine’s Day. He also won’t judge when we eat the entire pint of ice cream all by ourselves.

8. Lots of “likes” on our witty Instagram posts

Trust me, we spend hours coming up with the perfect bitter but witty, snappy but creative Instagram captions for our Valentine’s Day posts so a “like” here and there would be appreciated. To be honest, it’s probably us confessing how much we love food, but hey, it’s still appreciated.

9. A rockin’ playlist

This seems silly, but nothing puts us in a better mood than a playlist full of our favorite tunes to sing at the top of our lungs to. Throw a mix together that is full of music that makes us feel all sorts of things. From happy music to slower love songs, music always makes us feel better.

With only five days left until Valentine’s Day, you heard it here first, boys. These nine things will forever make it worth the little time you put in to tell us how special we are. 

Photo credit: 1

Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English. 
Carleen is a Senior at Penn State University from Scranton, Pa. She can usually be found in Chambers building studying Early Childhood Education, at Starbucks, Dunkin, Au Bon Pain (litearlly anywhere she can get her coffee fix in), or hanging out with her THON friends! She is also a member of Delta Gamma. She enjoys Netflix, naps, and chipotle. Her dream is to get hired as a Kindergarten teacher after graduation and one day become a mom!
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.