9 Struggles Of Being The Long Island Friend In Your Squad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

One of the biggest hurdles from going to a school out-of-state is that all people that grew up differently than you are usually from the same place. They make fun of your “accent” and use terms that you would never use at home. Being the only one in your friend group from a very discrete and different place outside of State College, or anywhere in Pennsylvania, is always a daily struggle.

1. Trying to explain to people why you are so loud

You guys think I’m loud? You should hear me when I’m with my family and friends.

2. Explaining that you don’t have an accent compared to most people

I don’t even sound like that!

3. Having to explain to people that you don’t go to the city every day and don’t live by it

I love it, but it’s not in my backyard.

4. People don’t understand traffic until they are on the LIE during rush hour

5. Not being able to understand “Senior Week” and “football games under the lights”

I wish I knew this kind of lifestyle, but I went to a football game once a year. And no, not everyone in my graduating class are friends.

6. Having to constantly hear, “Say drawer. Say coffee!”

7. Having people think they know what an actual bagel tastes like

There is no comparison.

8. Having people think you are snobby and rich before actually meeting you

Yes, there are more of us out there.

9. Not being able to talk to people who understand why it is the one place you love most

Ugh. The beaches, the pizza, the bagels and the shopping. I miss you, home.

Photo credit: 1

Jacqueline Napolitano is currently a sophomore at Penn State University. She is majoring in Journalism and minoring in psychology. She is the head editor to Her Campus Penn State and is loving every second editing articles for the talented writers of Penn State. Her love for everything Buzzfeed and other relatable blogs is what made her want to get in on the action of Her Campus in the fall of 2015. Her experience includes being the Triangle Correspondent for her sorority's magazine, an editorial director for an upcoming book and being the Opinions and Editorial editor for her high school paper. Jacqueline enjoys binge watching every Netflix show from one tree hill to orange is the new black and can recite every episode of friends imagined. She hopes to gain experience in the Public Relations side of Her Campus as well as the writing side. She plans on working in Public Relations or digital journalism for a full time career.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.