8 Tips for Surviving Your First Penn State Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

For most East Coast natives (including myself), winter is one of the most exciting times of the year. As soon as I see the first sign of snow each year, I look forward to building snowmen, ice skating, dressing in cozy sweaters and watching classic holiday movies with my friends. Winter is easily my favorite season, but for any students who have yet to experience a Northeastern winter, here are some tips to survive it in college:

1. Bundle up

Penn State winters can be brutally cold. A lightweight jacket won’t protect you from the harsh winds and heavy snowfall, so investing in gloves, a warm hat, and snow boots is always a good idea. You might look silly, but you’ll be grateful when you’re not suffering from hypothermia.

2. Wear layers

The hardest part of going to class in the winter (besides waking up), is freezing on your way there, only to profusely sweat once you’re sitting in a packed lecture while wearing a heavy sweater. The best way to avoid discomfort is to wear multiple layers underneath your jacket in case you get warm.

3. Stay active

When there’s a blizzard going on outside, it can be tempting to lay around watching holiday movies and indulging in comfort food. While these two activities are an important part of having a true winter experience, you’ll feel better if you get outside and enjoy all the winter activities you feel the urge to do.

4. A hot drink is your best friend

My winter diet consists of hot soup, hot coffee, hot chocolate… noticing a theme here? Hot liquids keep your body warmer and more ready to face any snowstorm.

5. A fuzzy blanket is also your friend

Dorm rooms can be cold, and your comforter won’t cut it some nights. The coziest way to keep warm is to invest in fuzzy blankets – the more the merrier.

6. Watch holiday movies

This is the perfect time of year to watch these movies with your friends and get in the holiday spirit when you have free time.

7. Decorate

The holiday season in college can be stressful with work and finals, but there are ways to relieve this stress! Surround yourself with things that make you happy, such as a mini holiday tree or festive wall decorations. You’re limited to certain decorations in a dorm room, but it’s not impossible to make your room feel like home!

8. Learn to love winter

If you’re from a warm place, you’re probably dreading the time when the temperature drops below 30 degrees, but cold winters are one of the best parts of going to school in the Northeast. Before you know it, spring will be here, so enjoy every moment of winter that you have while you’re here.

Good luck, collegiettes!

Credit: Penn State News

Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.