8 Reasons Every Girl Should Celebrate Galentine’s Day As Told By Parks And Rec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

On the popular show Parks and Rec, main character and superwoman, Leslie Knope created a holiday – Galentine’s Day. Every February 13th, Leslie gathers all of the important women in her life and showers them with love, attention and presents. If you don’t already celebrate this wonderful holiday with your gal pals, here are eight reasons that you totally should.

1. Girls are the best, duh

This goes without saying, but your girlfriends are the best people in the entire world.

2. It’s a perfect excuse for a wine night… or wine day

And we never mind another excuse.

3. Who doesn’t love gifts?!

Even if you don’t go all out like Leslie usually does, gifts are always fun to give and receive.

4. This is one day completely free of boy drama

As much as boys can be nice and all, having one day dedicated to having fun with only your friends is so refreshing and lovely.

5. What other holiday do you get to celebrate your best friends?

Besides their birthdays, of course, which are national holidays.

6. Just imagine the pics

Whether you dress up for a girls’ day out or get cozy for a girls’ night in, all of your Instas will be fire.

7. You get a whole day to do all the things you’ve planned to do

Remember when you planned to get your nails done, have a spa day or check out that café downtown but never got around doing it? Now you can!

8. Your friends will always be there for you, love you and appreciate you

In all seriousness, your friends have been with you through everything, and they’ll always know you just a little bit better than any boy could. Galentine’s Day is the perfect way to celebrate that.

Your friends are beautiful, wonderful, important ladies. Let them know how much you love them on Galentine’s Day!

Photo credit: 1

Jess Cartwright is a freshman at Pennsylvania State University and a writer for Her Campus Penn State. She is currently in the College of Communications and plans to major in photojournalism. Jess has published short stories through her creative writing class in high school, and she has published a blog post through her summer job with Eastern National. She hopes to work on her writing skills and experience writing for an online magazine by being involved with Her Campus. One day, Jess hopes to be a photojournalist for a travel magazine, or, if she’s lucky enough, be a photographer for National Geographic. 
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.