This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Halloween is quickly approaching, so if you haven’t already found your perfect costume – now’s the time! Everyone wants to look awesome for Halloween but no one wants to look basic, so here are eight Halloween costumes you should avoid this year:

8. Supergirl/Superwoman

At every Halloween party, there’s at least ten girls walking around in a Supergirl/Superwoman costume. What makes this costume so basic? Almost everyone has worn this costume at least once – or at least considered it at some point. There are so many other female superheroes/villains you can be for Halloween, so please pick something else! 

7. A bunny 

A bunny costume is probably one of the most boring costumes ever – Playboy bunny costumes included! This costume is way too easy to make, and it just screams, “Hey! I didn’t put any thought into this, but let’s party!” If you’re planning to be a bunny this Halloween, spice it up! Instead of being a regular bunny, be a zombie bunny – now that’s an original costume.

6. Batgirl

Like Supergirl/Superwoman, a Batgirl costume is a total bore. At any Halloween store, there’s a variety of different versions of this costume – and they’re all basic, except one. The original yellow and purple Batgirl costume is cool and different from the basic Bat colors of yellow and black, so aside from this version, remember to avoid the never-ending Batgirl craze at all costs.

5. Sexy police officer 

This costume often enters strip tease territory, which wouldn’t be an issue if this costume wasn’t so common; a sexy policewoman costume is another overwhelming commodity at Halloween parties. This costume is in dire need of rest, so can we all agree to stay away from it this year? 

4. A sexy nurse 

Was there even a question that this beyond basic costume would make the list? The sexy nurse costume has always been a Halloween staple, but it’s time for its reign to end. It’s so basic, in fact, that all variations of the costume are basic as well – yes, this includes zombie nurses. This costume is played out and tired, so steer clear of this one ladies!

3. Harley Quinn from “Suicide Squad”

Harley Quinn’s Arkham City costume has always been popular, but ever since DC released the god awful movie “Suicide Squad” in 2016, this costume has taken off. This costume has been done to death in such a short amount of time that it’s become super basic – so if you want to be Harley this Halloween, please opt for the Arkham City version. 

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman is a superhero icon and a legend, but this doesn’t stop her Halloween costume from being super basic. In elementary school, Wonder Woman was always a popular costume, and there aren’t many original things that you can do with this costume even now. I’m personally tired of seeing it done so many times, so this year find a different costume and give Wonder Woman a break. 

1. A cat

Being a cat for Halloween is hands down the most basic costume of all time. For most people, this costume is a last-minute decision with little to no thought put into it. No matter how you spin it, this costume is played out, so this year put away the cat ears and pick a different animal – like a cow!

Staying away from these eight basic costumes will make for a much cooler and original Halloween costume. Happy shopping, collegiettes!

Your neighborhood Marvel nerd who loves music and writing.
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.