7 Things You Could Do Instead Of Posting A Problematic Facebook Status

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Life is already stressful enough, the last thing anyone wants to see when they open up Facebook is someone’s super offensive or problematic status. I know sometimes our emotions get the best of us, but trust me, there are a ton of things you could do instead of hitting “post.”

1. Do some research

If you’re feeling a Facebook rant coming on, it might be best to make sure you know what you’re talking about, that being said, see number two.

2. Read a credible news source

They’re out there, I promise you. It’s becoming increasingly more difficult to do but it’s so important that you do. The Associated Press is a good one to turn to if you’re lost.

3. Make someone smile

Posting something nice or cute will make everyone smile, instead of cringing when they see your status.

4. Take a deep breath and walk away for an hour or two

Come back and then make sure you do all of the steps over again (just don’t hit send).

5. Learn some interesting facts about pugs

Because everyone needs this kind of information in their life.

6. Ask beneficial questions

No snarky undertones, just try to remain open minded and see the other person’s side.

7. Talk to your mom

She’ll listen, moms are great. And if she won’t listen, maybe your dog will?  

We’ve all seen how toxic some posts on social media can be, so if you’re thinking about hitting post, it might be smart to think twice.

Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.
Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.