7 Things I Learned From Cher Horowitz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

One Thursday night in my sophomore year of high school, I was procrastinating my chemistry homework while flipping through the channels on my TV. By chance, I stumbled across a movie playing on Nickelodeon. I was intrigued by the ‘90s fashion and retro-pop soundtrack and decided to watch. Four years later, the 1995 cult classic is still my favorite movie and Cher Horowitz is still one of my idols. Between her unshakable confidence, her underestimated intelligence, and her incredible fashion sense, we could all learn a little something from Cher. Here are some of the lessons Cher has taught me after countless viewings of Clueless:

1. Never settle for anything less than you deserve.

Cher never settles for anything less than what she feels she deserves and neither should you. If Cher can argue her grade up from a C+ to an A- then you shouldn’t be afraid to fight for that raise at work or to break off that unhappy relationship.

2. Don’t be afraid to express your opinions.

If Cher isn’t afraid to express to her fellow classmates how physical education in her school is a disgrace, then you shouldn’t be afraid to express your opinions either. Make your voice heard, no matter what other people might think.

3. Never underestimate the power of a good makeover.

Cher’s main thrill in life is a makeover — it gives her a sense of control in a world full of chaos. She knows when you feel good on the outside, you feel even better on the inside. When you’re feeling down, never underestimate what a manicure, new outfit or new hairstyle can do.

4. Take care of your mind and body.

Cher knows how important it is to keep your mind and body healthy. Making sure to exercise every day, not just sporadically, as well as reading one non-school book a week is a great way to do this.

5. Never apologize for who you are.

Cher made the personal choice not to date because she feels that searching for a boy in high school is as useless as searching for meaning in a Pauly Shore movie. She says this is a choice that every woman has to make for herself. She takes no shame in her decisions and you shouldn’t either.

6. Don’t be pressured into doing anything you don’t want to do.

Saving herself for Luke Perry has always been Cher’s plan and she took no shame in that when confessing to being “hymenally challenged.” She knows being a virgin is nothing to feel bad about and won’t let anyone pressure her into doing something she doesn’t want to do. If Cher can reject Elton, the social director of the crew, then you shouldn’t be pressured to be with anyone you don’t want to be with.

7. Don’t let anyone put you in a box.

Josh and Cher may fall in love at the end of the film, but in the beginning Josh often tried to belittle Cher into feeling like she was just an ordinary ditsy blonde. Time after time, Cher proved him wrong by persuading her teachers and becoming captain of the Pismo Beach disaster relief.

Cher never let anyone’s negative words keep her from proving herself and neither should you.

Photo: 1

Katie Johnston is a sophomore at Penn State University and is a writer for Her Campus at Penn State. She is double majoring in print and digital journalism and French. When she's not writing, she can be found eating her famous mac and cheese or watching sitcoms like Friends, New Girl and How I Met Your Mother. You can find her on Twitter or Instagram at @ktjohnston23.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.