7 Reasons Why ‘MasterChef Junior’ Makes Me Feel Whole Inside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As someone who could essentially burn water, I live for cooking shows on TV.

Chopped, The Great British Baking Show, Cupcake Wars, and literally everything else. My all time favorite though has to be MasterChef Junior. All of the kids competing are between the ages of 8 and 13 and beat out a bunch of other young home cooks to go compete in the MasterChef kitchen. Again, I can’t cook for my life. I can bake like nobody’s business, but if you tell me to make dinner, you’re eating dry cereal. All of these kids are so incredible, creating things that I couldn’t imagine in my wildest dreams. Here are my reasons why I love MasterChef Junior.

1. Gordon Ramsay

We all know that Gordon Ramsay has a reputation for making people cry. Not on MasterChef Junior. He is so incredibly kind to these children as they try to fulfill their dreams of being a professional chef. If one of the kids began to break down or freak out, Gordon is always right by their side to comfort them and get that back on track.

2. The camaraderie

We’ve all seen chefs try and sabotage each other on all of the cooking shows, or just deliberately hating on each other and putting each other down. That doesn’t happen here. All of these kids become best friends and become incredibly sad when one of their competitors leaves the kitchen. All of these kids work together and hold each other up when someone is going down hill.

3. The recipes

Do you think you could recreate Gordon Ramsay’s famous Beef Wellington? Yeah, neither do I. But these kids have made that and more. They pull recipes out of thin air and create beautiful dishes with finesse.

4. Messing with the judges

Since these are kids in the kitchen, we have to let them have some fun. This is where the judges come in. Every season, the kids get an opportunity to dump some kind of food on the judges. We’ve seen frosting, cheese, meringue, whipped cream, and so much more.

5. The guest stars

MasterChef Junior is a star-studded event. THey’ve had everyone from Martha Stewart to Michelle Obama to Mayim Bialik. It’s insane the kind of people they can get on this show!

6. The pantry

This sounds like a weird reason, but the pantry there is absolutely huge. They have literally any item these kids could need to cook with. SO MUCH FOOD!!!

7. The kids

These are some of the most, vibrant, excited kids I’ve ever seen. They have so much personality and so much happiness that it’s absolutely infectious. I can’t help but smile when I watch it.

GIFs via Giphy

Allie Bausinger is a Penn State University graduate who majored in Print/Digital Journalism with a minor in English. She is from "outside Philadelphia," which in her case is Yardley, Pennsylvania. Allie is looking for full-time employment in writing, editing, fact-checking, podcasting, and other areas of the journalism and writing fields.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.