7 Lucky Tricks to Throw a New Year’s Eve Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Follow these seven steps to ensure a night of good luck as you and your guests welcome a prosperous 2020!

Choose a theme

Pick an easy simple theme and revolve your decorations around it. NYE is all about the glamour and reminiscing on the past year, so start with that, and go from there! Also, some of the best decorations are DIY! So don’t stress about the nitty gritty, just have fun instead! 

Be creative with your food & beverages 

The holidays are the perfect excuse to let your creative juices flowing, so try a cute champagne or sangria bar (21+). Add glitter for that NYE touch!

Make a playlist ahead of time

Choose your music around the theme of your party; for New Years, play music from the last year! 

Require a ~fancy~ dress code

New Years Eve is one of the only nights of the year that wearing all things glitter and sequins is acceptable! Go all out! Plus, it’s great for pictures. 

Have fun games to play

Whether it be drinking games or just for fun, tailor it to your chosen theme! Games help set the tone of the night with laughter, and always help make your guests feel comfortable and welcome! 

Have celebration supplies

Everyone loves making loud noises and wearing festive headbands/hats as they “ring” in the new year, so make sure to have enough for everyone to take part of the celebration! 

Have a photo station

Taking pictures is probably the most popular thing to do at a big party where everyone is dressed up. Allow your guests to capture the night; set up a “selfie station” or photo booth with fun NYE themed props.

Erin Campbell is a senior at Penn State from York, PA. She is majoring in journalism with a minor in English. Erin is a member of Happy Valley Communications and hopes to pursue a career in the communications field.
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.