david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Ways To Not Be Problematic This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Halloween is basically here and most people have their costumes ready to go. Before you get all dressed up to show off your awesome costume, you should make sure that your costume isn’t offensive. This can be a bit tricky at times, so I’m here to save you from an offensive Halloween. Here are six ways to not be problematic this year:

6. Movie/TV characters

Characters like Moana and Black Panther took the world by storm with their blockbuster movies, so people love these characters and want to be them for Halloween despite not being a part of their culture. In my opinion, it’s ok to be these characters – as long as you’re not using any cultural patterns, using an accent or darkening your skin in any way to do so.

5. Wigs

Let’s say you’ve crafted a kick-a** 70s Halloween costume with platform boots and bell bottoms – wouldn’t it suck to ruin it with a problematic wig? Wearing an afro wig is problematic unless your hair naturally grows like that. Someone else’s hair isn’t a costume, and it shouldn’t be used as a comedic prop just for the sake of a Halloween costume. So don’t do it, it’s not cool.

4. Cultural headwear

Don’t be that person caught wearing a sombrero, a hijab or a bindi as part of your costume. Hijabs are sacred religious headwear in Muslim culture, and aren’t accessories to be used for a night – it’s a lifestyle. Wearing a sombrero for your comedic costume is also offensive (unless you’re from the culture.)

3. Problematic celebrities

People like Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein, who are in the process of being or have been convicted of sexual assault and harsh crimes of that nature, aren’t Halloween costumes. Sexual assault is never a joke. By dressing up as Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby (or anyone else who’s been called out for that crime), you’re making a mockery of the victims and the heinous acts those people committed. This also refers to any possible O.J Simpson or Ted Bundy portrayals as well.

2. Cultural outfits

This is an umbrella term for Geisha costumes, Native American costumes, Dashikis and any other cultural outfit you can think of. If you aren’t from the culture, don’t wear the outfit! For example, if you’re a white American, don’t dress up as a Native American for Halloween. No one’s cultural outfits are Halloween costumes – they’re lifestyles and are historic and sacred, so don’t disrespect someone else’s culture.

1. Altering skin colors

DO NOT DARKEN YOUR SKIN COLOR FOR ANY REASON FOR A HALLOWEEN COSTUME – I can’t stress this enough! If you want to be Nicki Minaj or Beyonce for Halloween, you DO NOT have to darken your skin in any way to do so! Wearing Blackface isn’t excused on Halloween just because it’s for “your costume.” Lightening your skin to be a white celebrity for Halloween isn’t cool either!

By following these simple guidelines, you’ll be on track to have a nice, fun, and non-offensive Halloween. Just remember to keep it cute and non-problematic, collegiettes!

Your neighborhood Marvel nerd who loves music and writing.
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.