Wellness > Sex + Relationships

6 Ways to Connect with Family and Friends Effectively in 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

There is no doubt 2020 was harsh and painful for all of us. Having to reinvent and modify our lives everyday with unpleasant news splashing all around us. 

It is not a surprise that things are not going to be “normal” anytime soon. The idea of normal has drastically changed, and 2020 has taught us how to adapt to the ever-changing idea of the same normal. 

Although, we all look forward to a better year, being overly optimistic isn’t ideal. Social distancing would still be required as well as staying home mandates. 

While staying home might be necessary, it doesn’t have to be isolating and monotonous. Along with the innumerable things 2020 has taught me, the most important one is to connect with family and friends more often. 

Especially when the world seems to be in a series of unfortunate events, you’re going to face a lot of moments when you’ll be confused and lost. During these times, when you long for home, you talk to your old friends and family. While everything around you is unceasingly changing, you will be happy to know that there are a few things that remain constant. 

This is important because these constants are comforting. They are your light at the end of the tunnel who are there to ensure they are by your side. They are your home.  And sometimes, that’s all we really need to hear. 

As beautiful as it sounds, these constants require effort. In order for that feeling of homeliness and comfort to persist, staying connected is pivotal.  

Here are a few ways you can stay connected with your family and friends in 2021 if you haven’t tried them yet:

Share recipes and cook together.

I moved into an apartment for the first time in my life as a college student. Living alone was challenging enough, let alone cooking for myself. Something that really helped me was cooking with my best friend and mom over Facetime. Whenever I missed a particular homemade dish or got stuck, this was my go-to solution. 

That time spent, even though virtually, felt like I was with someone while doing the task I dislike the most. Not only I got great company but also, I learned numerous new recipes and cooking hacks. 

Additionally, these sessions could also turn into something more fun, like a virtual dinner date with some drinks and nice music. It might make you feel less stuck at home.

Shop online with your friends.

I am certain that everyone misses those long days with your friends where you would go to a mall, get some lunch and spend time pampering yourselves. While all those things are on a hold, trying online shopping over the phone isn’t a bad option.

Who doesn’t need a friend’s opinion when choosing from a gazillion options but are also broke and extremely indecisive?  Hop on a call, open your favorite sites and share screens!

Create and share a playlist of your favorite songs.

Music is a form of art that has the potential to connect millions of people together. I believe that when you share music, you are sharing an experience together. 

As music is very personal to a lot of people, creating a playlist for a family member or a friend today could be a great gesture of love, equivalent to creating a mixtape in the 90s. 

Curate a playlist of songs that person may like, with a few of your favorites. It might help them in ways you didn’t think of.

Make the best use of gaming apps.

I wasn’t a big fan of downloading games on my phone until this year. It might sound childish, but it could actually be fun to play all those games in the comfort of your bed. 

Games like Scrabble, ludo king, Chess, Uno, The Imposter and even Cards Against Humanity could be played with friends or with random strangers. 

If you want a greater variety, you could also download Game Pigeon on your phone and play within text messages. It has plenty of fun interactive games to choose from. Remember “Yahoo! Pool?” It has a very similar version of it. There’s also Darts, Archery, Basketball, Cup Pong, and Paintball.

Schedule a virtual movie night.

Many of you would already be familiar with the Google Chrome extension, Netflix Party. Even though it is not even remotely close to a movie night with your friends in the theaters, it is the most ideal solution. 

If you are bored of using Netflix Party, you could also set up a Facetime/Skype/Google Hangout video call and watch it together while gossiping about other things. Rave and Airtime are also two popular apps that allow you to stream with friends

This could be a weekly ritual with your family or even your old school friends. You can watch old high school movies with a bowl of popcorn — and not have to share it!

Give each other writing prompts.

While journaling could be really intimate, giving each other writing prompts could be a less heavy and a more fun thing to do. 

Come up with things you always wanted to write about but could not before. It could be about anything, and once it’s done at the end of the week or day, you can share it with each other. 

It is a perfect way to inspire as well as know your close ones in a better manner along with being a great source of venting emotions.

These things might not be the best way you would choose to be with your family and friends, but it is the safest one. Missing home and not being able to see your family could be really hard but hold on. 

We are all in this together ,and every day is a fresh start to something new and greater. Don’t let dull days dull your spirit. Take time for yourself and cherish what you have. 

Be thankful for your loved ones and continue to appreciate the little things in life. 

Vrinda Agarwal is currently a Sophomore at Penn State studying Public Relations, minoring in Digital Media Trends and Entrepreneurship & Innovation. When not writing, she loves to sketch or binge-watch a Netflix show. "Make your own kind of music, even if nobody sings along! "