6 Times Shane Dawson Was The Most Relatable Person On The Internet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Ah, YouTube. A place where you can spend hours watching makeup tutorials, Vine compilations and cat videos. There are lots of creators on YouTube, all with unique personalities and interests, but the internet can also be a place of fake-ness and false images. With so many influencers on the Internet, it can be hard to tell who’s being real.

One creator who keeps things real is Shane Dawson. Shane’s been on YouTube for over 10 years and is still dominating the platform – but above all, he’s honest, funny and shares many of the same experiences as any regular person. His videos are funny and often feature his boyfriend, Ryland; his friend, Garrett; his videographer, Andrew; and Ryland’s sister, Morgan.

Without further ado, here are six times Shane was the most relatable person on the internet:

1. When he took Xanax for the first time ($20,000 First Class Airplane Seats)

Most people have experience with taking medications. On a plane ride to Texas, Shane decided to take Xanax and what followed was nothing short of hilarious. Shane’s reaction to the medicine ranged from being extremely affectionate toward Ryland, making a face like he’d just seen a ghost, and writing funny notes to his friends (like when he asked Andrew if he wanted a Xanax.)

2. The time he made Ryland and Garrett treat him like a queen when he got his 10-million-subscriber button from YouTube (Destroying My Diamond Play Button!)

Honestly, if I got 10 million subscribers I would do the same thing. From having Ryland put a fur coat on him, to asking for a new diet root beer because his old one got warm, Shane’s literally anyone when they accomplish something (or at least how we want to act.)

3. When he was stressing out over taking care of a baby so he ordered Chipotle (We Adopted a Baby)

Taking care of kids is scary, especially when you can barely get out of bed, do your laundry and make anything that’s not a bowl of cereal. Stress eating is a way of life, and Shane is the king of it. Plus, who doesn’t want Chipotle when you’re freaking out over a test, an interview or taking care of another literal human being?

4. When he freaked out about the price of the Gucci clothes Jeffree Star bought him (Switching Lives with Jeffree Star)

Shane’s any person who’s living on a budget. When your clothes are from Target, H&M and Forever 21, a full outfit from Gucci that could pay off your college debt would make anyone shooketh.

5. When he took Garrett, Morgan and Ryland to Party City and tried on wigs ($10,000 Makeover (Before & After))

Shane loves a good dramatic moment, as most people do. What better way to complete a Texas makeover than a wig? Shane liked Morgan’s wig so much he decided to get wigs for the whole squad. The result left his viewers with their wigs snatched.

6. Any time he wears his merch

Shane’s pig shirt is his unofficial official uniform. Who doesn’t love wearing the same shirt over and over again for days because doing laundry is too much effort? It’s even better when your shirt is your own merch. 

Hannah Nelson is a senior at Penn State University, double majoring in Print/Digital Journalism and History. She enjoys Marvel movies, anything Harry Potter, books, quoting Vines and watching Tik Toks. In her free time, she is probably watching Try Guys videos on YouTube. She is passionate about mental health, women's rights and the Black Lives Matter movement.
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.