This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Finally, winter is no longer with us. The days are getting longer, the nights are getting shorter, the temperatures are rising and the prospect of some amazing dates with your significant other is on the horizon. Here are just a few ideas of fun dates that don’t require you to leave State College!

Walk around the arboretum

The Arboretum is one of the most beautiful outdoor spaces in State College. From koi ponds to bee hotels, these stunning gardens are straight out of a Disney princess movie. With days getting longer and nights warming up, the Arboretum is the perfect setting for a romantic summer date.

Hike mount Nittany

Take advantage of State College’s natural landmarks by hiking Mount Nittany! Not only is this a great date idea for couples who love the great outdoors, but it is also a wonderful way to exercise and an affordable date idea. Mount Nittany has over eight miles of trails and beautiful scenic views. Even better, for only two dollars you can take the CATA bus straight there, so there’s no need to pay for an expensive Uber ride.

picnic on the hub lawn

If you’ve ever even looked at @psubarstool on Instagram, you’ll know that the minute the sun comes out in State College, hundreds of people flock to the HUB-Robeson Center lawn to sunbathe, play spike ball and hang out with friends. Why not take advantage of this sunny hang-out by having a picnic with your significant other?

With a range of dining options at the HUB, food will not be hard to procure. Whether you’re feeling some classic Panda Express Orange Chicken or want to try a summer smoothie from Jamba Juice, this will be the easiest picnic of your life.

If the HUB lawn gets too crowded, or you and your partner simply want your date to have some more peace and quiet, the Old Main lawn is less than a five-minute walk away, with stunning views of Penn State’s most famous building.

Spin bike ride

Everyone at Penn State has seen the Spin bikes at least once, generally beeping in an alleyway downtown. However, with around 300 e-bikes across campus, this program makes for a wonderful date opportunity. You can cruise across campus or check out downtown. These bikes are both fun and inexpensive. They cost $1 to unlock per ride, and then $0.25 per minute thereafter. However, if you want to save some cash, there are also periods late at night when the bikes are free. Check out the Spin E-Bike Share Program page for more information on these bikes.

Movin’ on festival

Movin’ On is Penn State’s annual music festival. Not only is it student-run, but it is also free to students! On April 29 at the IM field, expect wonderful live music and plenty of fun. Some of the acts currently announced for the 2022 festival include Jack Harlow, Amine and Fits and the Tantrums. If your partner is emotionally secure enough to allow you to see Jack Harlow in person, this opportunity makes for a wonderful date idea!

rock climbing at the im

The Intermural Building has a ton of great resources to help students keep fit during the semester. One of these resources is the Climbing Wall, standing at over 40 feet tall with 16 climbing lanes. Challenge your partner and go head-to-head in a climbing competition to see who can scale the wall the fastest! The best part: the climbing wall is free during open recreation hours. If you and your significant other are up for more of a challenge, enjoy rope-free climbing on the Intermural Building’s 14-foot bouldering wall.

Em is a British-American student studying Public Relations at Penn State University Park. She is a football fan, of both Manchester City and Buffalo Bills.