Style

5 Wintery Ways to Stay Fashionable and Warm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As the cold weather continues, it can be very easy to continue wearing the same sweatpants and sweatshirts on your way to class or to run errands. If you’re looking to finally set aside the “lazy girl look” or maybe enhance it, here are a few ways to spice up your everyday outfit while staying warm and cozy.

1. Invest in a cute hat

This may seem very simple or mundane, but a nice hat can make all the difference in making your outfit look more “put together.” Whether you’re wearing a hat to hide your messy hair or just looking to add some flair to your ‘fit’, a nice hat can pull together a simple look.

When thinking about what hats to purchase, try to stick to neutral colors. Neutral colors can easily match multiple outfits, however it can be fun to purchase the occasional statement hat.

A good hat does not have to be super expensive or interesting looking, just make sure it is comfortable and fits over your ears. Now you are ready to walk out the door feeling a bit more “put together.”

2. Matching Sweat Sets

If giving up comfortable clothing is not an option for you, opting for a matching sweat set can easily advance your look. From a cute tie-dye design or something as simple as monochromatic, anything will work as a sweat set.

Focus on buying sweat sets in brighter colors to stand out. Looking “put together” isn’t contingent on a specific color or pattern, but feeling good in whatever you’re wearing. Personally, a pop of color can make all the difference in a simple outfit.

3. Layering and incoporating jewerly

I am awful at layering my clothes. I never end up putting on that extra layer of socks, nor do I own any simple long sleeve shirts. By adding that extra layer, you’re warmer and still rocking a cute OOTD.

One recent trend is buying a shirt collar to wear underneath a sweatshirt or long sleeve top. While you won’t be any warmer by doing this, it is super cute.

If you’d rather maintain some body heat, buying a full-length white dress shirt could be your way of fitting in with the fashion trends. While laying your clothes, also think about layering jewelry. Some stores sell sets that are layered perfectly. Urban Outfitters has a zodiac necklace line that I purchased from recently. While it is a very simple design, the effort of adding jewelry can turn any outfit around.

4. Crocs with Fur

Crocs have made such a comeback over the past year and a half. Many small businesses have been making unique gibbets, and Crocs themselves have become one of the top shoe choices for Gen-Z adults. They’re comfortable shoes and work well alongside just about any outfit.

Since the original style of Crocs are not for warmth, investing in a pair lined with fur is LIFE changing. I have a white and light blue pair, and I wear both often in the cold weather. I have not once had any complaints about foot warmth during the colder months. One word of advice, do not wear these in the snow. You will fall and it will hurt.

5. Turtlenecks

Turtlenecks are the warmest sweater on the market. Everyone seems to feel pretty strongly towards not wearing them, but I don’t see why not. They cover your whole neck and you can dress them up or down.

These sweaters have become so versatile over the years and I strongly feel that to stay warm, a turtleneck is a must-have in everyone’s closet. With a wide variety of styles and colors, adding a turtleneck into your weekly outfit ideas is something I promise you won’t regret.

Kaylyn is a senior, graduating in 2022, and hopes to live in a cool city after graduation. She is majoring in Broadcast Journalism, with a minor in theatre. After college, she hopes to work within the entertainment/lifestyle side of journalism and produce articles much like what she's doing at HerCampus at Penn State.