This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Sleeping can be a very complicated necessity of life that many people have trouble mastering. Having consistent good nights of sleep can show positive results in your mental and physical health – especially for college students, who should be getting at least seven to nine hours of sleep per night. For many students, this can seem unrealistic, so here are some tips to help you get the best sleep possible:

1. Create a regular sleep schedule.

This is key to an effective and productive amount of sleep. Make sure you’re sleeping and waking up at regular times each day; it’ll help your body get into a rhythm and you might even be able to go without an alarm soon enough.

2. Stay off your phone.

Try not to use your phone or electronic devices at least two hours before your bedtime. The blue light on these screens tricks your mind into thinking it’s still daytime and could disrupt your circadian rhythm. Instead, try reading a book or meditating. 

3. Avoid caffeine and alcohol.

If you’re planning to sleep within five to seven hours, make sure to lay off the caffeine-filled drinks as they’ll probably keep you rolling around in bed. Although it’s known that large amounts of alcohol consumption is bad for your body in general, it’s especially bad for your sleep cycle. If you do need help sleeping, there are sleep-inducing teas out there that can help you without affecting your health.

4. Fight those hunger pangs. 

If you’re about to go to bed, don’t eat a huge meal or anything spicy. Your body needs time to digest food, so a late night meal could cause heartburn, acid reflux or indigestion. Go for a small, light snack like a bowl of fruit or cereal with milk.

5. Clear your mind.

It’s better to leave stressful tasks for the next morning. If you have something on your mind or an upcoming assignment that’s causing you stress, encourage yourself to worry about it the next day. You can even try journaling to expel your mind of negative, anxiety-ridden thoughts. This way, you’ll be able to sleep quickly and peacefully.

Hopefully, these tips will help you get better sleep in the future. Good luck, collegiettes!

Monica is currently a Junior at Penn State University. She is studying International Media Studies with minors in Women's Studies and Korean Language. She loves traveling, spicy food, and all things Pinterest. If she were an animal, she'd be an alpaca because of her docile, yet goofy nature. Apart from writing for HC, you will most likely find her organizing her room, searching for the next song to obsess over, or pondering her next meal.
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.