5 Things The Intern Queen Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It may be Christmas season and cuffing season, but more importantly, it’s internship season. The hunt for the perfect presents, boyfriend and internship has begun. Ladies, let’s get our priorities straight. Summer 2017 is right around the corner and the earlier you jump on your horse the better the ride is going to be with your future.

Lauren Berger, the Intern Queen. 15 internships in four years. Strong. Hardworking. Passionate. Motivated. Ambitious. Has that caught your attention yet? Good, it should.

Berger founded Intern Queen in 2009 when she saw the need for a more personalized way for young people to connect for internships and career opportunities. On Wednesday, November 28, Berger spoke to a packed room of aspiring students hoping to learn a thing or two about opportunities, careers and the real world. We left feeling motivated and inspired. As Berger would put it, we were “ready to conquer the world.”

Here are a few things the Intern Queen herself taught me:

1.F.I.O.

Figure it out! Sometimes life throws you curve balls, but regardless of how hard you swing it’s important to find a way to figure it out. The harder you work to figure out a situation, problem or goal,the better the results will be. It’s a major key to figure out what you want and find a way to make it happen.

2. Focus things on where you can put all of your energy

As a motivated college student, it may be easy to get lost in the midst of it all. Often, students become over-involved and loose touch of how to perfect things. It’s important to have a few things that are extremely precious to you that you can consider your “babies.” Devote your time and energy to things you care most about. Your energy is valuable and you are worthy of making things the best they can possibly be.

3.We all get rejected — and it’s not going to stop — so keep trying

Berger said something about our generation is that when we hear “No,” we like to say, “YES!” Often, rejection is just part of the process.  It is so important to keep trying no matter how many times we are rejected. Being rejected, not getting your way or hearing “no” should be motivation to get your gears going even faster so that you can reach your aspirations. Remember, when you are rejected it’s important to remain polite and to grow from it. When you are rejected, new opportunities are bound to come in your direction.

4. Follow up with professional contacts three times a year just to say hello

Networking is key in the professional world and staying connected to your contacts is important. Berger suggests that we talk toall of our professional contacts at least three times per year. Fall, Spring, Summer, it’s always a good idea just to say hello and give updates. You do not have to reach out to your contacts asking for something. Keep updated on what your contacts are up to and in a email or handwritten letter let them know that you have seen something specific that they have their hands tied to. The Intern Queen, Lauren Berger, applied to OVER 100 internships her freshman year and landed an internship after communicating and working hard all while dealing with rejection.

5. You’re in college to get your dream job, so go get your dream job

Oftentimes, this gets pushed aside. We may be advised to look into other career choices because our dream job is “impractical” or “unrealistic.” Don’t listen to that. You are capable of anything you set your mind to.. If you want something, then go out and get it. “Impossible” should not be a word in your vocabulary.

Ladies, it’s time to take advantage of yourself, your time and this wild life. Put your brain to use and go after what you want because there are so many opportunities out there. These opportunities are not going to happen unless you make them happen.

Photo Credit: 1

Emily Chertow loves to create conversations and dialogue for her writing - to keep updated on what she is up to, follow her on social media @echertow. Reach out to her, she is always there to talk!
Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.