This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

When you think about your job, I hope you start to feel warm and jittery as good work memories fill up your head. If you feel that way about your job then congratulations. You won the lottery and this article may not be for you.

If you dread every shift with every fiber in your body, then this may be the affirmation you need to put in your two-week notice. Here are five tells you need to quit your job rn.

You Got “Promoted” But Never Got A Raise

There is a special place in hell for bosses who “promote” employees without a pay raise. I can not tell you how many times I wanted to quit my first job because I kept getting trained for higher positions but never saw a raise besides 12 cents after working there for a year.

In case you’re young and naive like I once was, let me break it down for you. If you are given more responsibilities and receive additional training to be a more valuable employee, your value as an employee goes up. Every time a worker is hired they are an investment.

Now some industries are given bailouts for having a high employee turnover rate but that’s a discussion for another day. All you need to know is higher valued employees should be compensated accordingly.

There is nothing wrong with asking for a raise when you are given additional responsibilities. In fact, I highly encourage it. Demand your value in your place of work.

An employee is not being greedy for demanding pay for supplemental responsibilities.

You Worry About Getting Fired Over Small Mistakes

It is important to be attentive in whatever career you end up in. Nobody wants to be the reason that the workday got screwed up. However, accidents do happen and sometimes you have to fess up to your boss about what happened.

Maybe you’re thinking that you’re just an anxious person and are overreacting. While that may be the case for some people, it usually isn’t the case for the majority. If your employer is making you feel you can’t go to them there may be a problem.

In my past jobs, there has always been a supervisor to go to if something needed to be fixed. If I was not comfortable with them I knew I wouldn’t be around long.

Reasonably speaking, you are never going to be the perfect employee. Even Type A personalities types screw up. Despite being treated like another replaceable body at your workplace, you do hold value.

Your mistake is going to be similar to the countless other mistakes employees like you have done. I can assure you thank someone is also going to make a bigger mistake at one point.

Work for someone who you respect and value. Do not make yourself miserable because you feel like you are the one overreacting. Women have a history of feeling like they have to suppress their feelings, especially in the workplace.

Your Boss Is A Jerk

There are far too many jobs and opportunities to prevent you from looking for another job if your boss is truly the worst. Whether they are yelling at you for things outside of your responsibility or power, it does not matter.

There are plenty of work environments where you can flourish as a worker and as a human being. Your boss has the potential to be a mentor. When you work someplace try to get as much out of the experience as you can.

A positive relationship with your boss can mean a lot more for you in the future. Seeing your hard work pay off is one of the most rewarding moments in your life. If your boss is a jerk by your own definition I’m not sure how that is going to work out.

There are bosses that can become a positive mentor to their employees. Seek those employment opportunities out. Get to know company values and find a place that works well for you.

Maybe your boss could be a great fit for someone else. That does not mean you need to make something work that does not come naturally to you.

You Get Manipulated

We can’t blame our bosses for wanting us to stay late sometimes or asking us to come in early. However, we can blame how they do it. We can also blame them for all the other messed up stuff they do.

For example, the classic one is if you call off for an emergency or get gravely sick and your boss demands you find your own coverage. Maybe rethink your place of employment. They could even be violating the federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).

Especially in minimum-wage jobs one of the biggest responsibilities of managers and supervisors is finding coverage.

Thinking about working outside of your pay grade? Think again. Leave your bosses to their own jobs.

Your availability is your availability. Do not bend your boundaries for empty promises or because they accuse you of not being a team player.

Your coworkers may also be the problem. If they are calling off constantly leaving the team short-staffed maybe it’s time to leave. A work environment should be made up of everyone doing their part. If you’re pulling your weight and someone else’s all the time, you’re being taken advantage of.

Calling off happens and that’s okay. Coworkers demanding you take their shift is not. Picking up a shift should be done because you’d like to not because you feel like you have to for someone else.

You are responsible for your shifts and no one else’s.

Everyone Else Is Quitting

Now I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “Just because everyone else is jumping off the cliff does that mean you would?” In this case if everyone else is jumping, you jump.

High turnover rates are common in lower-paying jobs in general. However, the work environment contributes to the large volume of people quitting or being fired. Take a look around your workplace and decide if everyone leaving is justified or not.

Sometimes speaking with your coworkers can be very productive if you feel comfortable that you can trust them. Your coworkers may have valid input that you never even thought about. Lean on them to help you make the right decision for you.

Remember not to just hop on the bandwagon just because everyone else is. If people are quitting because of a healthy workplace disagreement it may not be the most mature decision to just up and quit.

Sometimes when new rules are implemented people get upset and quit before trying to have a discussion about it. Do not get pulled into the mob mentality. Make your own decision with a clear head.

I must note that mass quitting is not necessarily a rash decision either. Workers get upset and finally snap at the establishment.

There are so many jobs available. Take a chance and throw some applications out there for something better. If you’ve been thinking about quitting chances are that you have already made your decision. Try to leave on a good note for those references. Good luck with your next job if you decide to move on!

We’re in a labor shortage and there’s bound to be a million companies that are willing to pay you what you deserve.

I am a 3rd-year undergraduate student pursuing a Bachelor of Science in economics at Penn State. I am very excited to be a part of Her Campus!