5 Reasons Why Jackie Burkhart from That 70’s Show is that B*tch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Jackie Burkhart is arguably the most relatable character on television, here’s reasons why! 

She Isn’t Afraid to Express Her Femininity

Jackie isn’t afraid to be exactly who she is, and in her case, that’s a fearless, fabulous and feminine leader. When other characters featured in the show try to demean her for her unrelenting direction regarding her sense of womanhood, she hits back with a line that is quirky, but also authoritative like the bad b*tch that she is. 

She Doesn’t Let People Walk All Over Her

While at first glance Jackie could be seen as a pushover, she always comes out on top in the end. In her various relationships with the male characters of the show, particularly Kelso, she is treated with disrespect beyond belief. Instead of using this as an opportunity for malice and revenge, Jackie always takes the high road. She uses this opportunity during times of weakness to become a better version of herself, which is an outlook I think everyone can appreciate.

She Is A Feminist

When avid watchers of That 70’s Showtune in, it can be easy to identify Donna as the feminist icon within the show. When looking further into the show, we can see that Jackie is successful, powerful, and an ally to all of her female friends. Whenever Donna is in need, she is there as a shoulder to cry on. She also supports all of her male friends in their times of weakness, especially shown when Donna and Eric break up. Due to these various reasons, Jackie is able to hold her own regarding feminism. Just because Jackie likes stereotypical girly things doesn’t make her any less of a feminist, and I think that is a very important message for girls everywhere: what you like doesn’t have to define who you are!

She Embraces Her Sexuality

In a society where it is taboo for women to be in touch with their sexuality and know exactly what they want, Jackie does not conform to these unnecessary gender norms. She outright tells her partners about her sexual desires, being open and honest within her relationships. This is very important and influential not only in the growth of her character, but also for young women watching her express herself.

Her Style

You cannot mention the name Jackie Burkhart without a focus on her sense of style. Her outfits are revolutionary, especially for the 70’s in which the show’s universe is based. From her eccentric hairstyles to her iconic “I Am So A Virgin” t-shirt, her style is intentional and fabulous. It also can’t be denied that she outright started the high-waisted pants trend. Due to this, I think we all owe Jackie a huge thank you for her contributions to the world of fashion.   

Jordyn is a sophomore studying Broadcast Journalism with minors in Theatre and Women's Studies, with aspirations to eventually become a news anchor on television. She performs with the Penn State A Cappella group, Shades of Blue, and is extremely passionate about singing. In her spare time, however, she can be found listening to the Mean Girls Broadway soundtrack or napping in her apartment. Jordyn is very excited to be writing for HerCampus and can't wait to see what the year holds!
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.