5 Reasons Every College Student Should Read The Sleep Revolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The Sleep Revolution is a new book written by Arianna Huffington, co-founder and editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post. You guessed it – it’s all about sleep. Why we need it and how to get more of it. College students are notoriously sleep-deprived especially during finals week. So, here are five reasons why The Sleep Revolution should be on your summer reading list.

1. So you don’t break your face

In an interview with CNN, Huffington revealed that her inspiration for writing the book came from a personal experience. One day, Huffington collapsed from exhaustion and subsequently hit her face on the corner of her desk and ended up breaking her cheekbone. That’s when she knew that she had to make a change.

2. It will make you happier

Getting a good night’s sleep has been linked to improving your mood, and a better mood means less people telling you to smile or asking why you look so angry.

3. To improve your health

According to the Division of Sleep Medicine at Harvard University, not getting enough sleep is linked to numerous health issues like obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Your body will thank you for learning how to sleep better.

4. It will make you smarter

Both reading and sleeping have been linked to higher GPAs, improved memory and longer attention spans. So, reading about sleep is basically guaranteed to make you a genius.

5. So you don’t end up like Donald Trump

According to Huffington and the American Academy for Sleep Medicine, Trump, who often boasts about how he only needs four hours of sleep a night, shows obvious signs of sleep deprivation. His symptoms include but are not limited to irritability, mood swings, distractibility, poor decisions and longer reaction times.

So, the next time your mom yells at you for sleeping until noon, you can tell her it’s making you smarter. Read up, and sleep up, collegiettes!

Photo credit: 1

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.