5 Last Minute College Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Guess what, collegiettes?  It’s your favorite season and Halloween is right around the corner.  You should’ve probably started spending less time drinking that Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks and more time looking for a fun and unique costume.  So for those last minute types of people, here’s a list of costumes you can create in less than 10 minutes.  These suggestions might help make you appear just a little less basic than the girl in cat ears.

1. Army Chick – The camo t-shirt sitting in your closet might be so last year, but it’s way too perfect not to wear on Halloween.  To make it a little bit more edgy, cut the t-shirt into a muscle tee. Once you have the shirt ready, find a pair of black spandex and some eye black (or eyeliner if you’re in a pinch) and you’re ready for battle.

2. Rosie the Riveter – This is probably one of the easiest costumes to recreate.  It’s also not worn as frequently as the other ones, so you’ll still look unique with little effort.  All you need for this costume is a denim button up shirt and a red bandana. Wear whatever bottoms you want with the denim shirt.  Just make sure you roll up your sleeves to perfect Rosie’s tough girl look. If you don’t have a red bandana, I’m sure you’d be able to find one at the dollar store.  You can wear it like a headband and tie it at the top and put your hair in a high pony or bun.

3. Regina George – I know you all want to have the most fetch costume at the Halloween party.  What better way to do that is there than being Regina George for the night?  You may not have army pants and flip flops, but I’m sure you have a plain white tank and a black mini skirt lying around.  So for this look, cut two holes in the chest area of the tank top. Put on a bright colored bra (Regina’s was purple, but I doubt you needed the reminder…) and throw on the tank top over that.  Just wear a black skirt with it and some pumps for the ultimate Mean Girls look. 

4. School Girl – Now, when I say schoolgirl, I don’t mean dress up in your sweatpants and sweatshirt that you’d wear to your 8 A.M. Monday mornings. Instead, go get yourself a plaid mini skirt at a costume shop or Forever 21.  Remember Cher from Clueless or Britney Spears’ famous schoolgirl costume from her “Baby One More Time” music video?  Well, that’s just what I’m talking about. You can pair the plaid skirt with a basic white or black crop top.  Some Converse and nerd glasses will finish the look off perfectly. You can even put your hair in pigtails or braids for the typical cute, innocent schoolgirl appearance.

5. Athlete – So you might not get as much playing time as Hackenberg, but you can still look the part.  With this costume, you can be totally athletic and cute all at the same time.  Pick up an old, oversized sports jersey you have hanging around.  If you don’t own one, I’m sure one of your guy friends does that he’ll be happy to let you borrow.  Pair the jersey with some knee-high socks and Converse.  Put your hair in two braids and paint on some eye black (again, eyeliner works too).  You’ll be the best athlete in the game.

Happy Halloweekend, collegiettes!

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.