Style > Fashion

Five Female Celebs That Prove Fashion Does Not Need to Be Feminine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

In recent history, a handful of male celebrities have gained publicity for breaking gender stereotypes. Whether it be Harry Styles’ appearance on Vogue or Jaden Smith wearing skirts, fashion statements like these often overshadow strides from their female counterparts.

While it is arguable that feminine clothing is less gender neutral as masculine clothing, therefore making it harder for men to branch out, it still does not minimize the progress women have made to get to this point.

Here are some influential women who aren’t afraid to express themselves!

JANELLE MONÁE

A little style risk is never a concern for Janelle Monáe. The actress, singer and rapper is especially known for her support of the LGBTQ+ community and has spoken out against the pressures of industry standards.

Her activism against heteronormative and cisnormative societal expectations is visible in the way she presents herself — her wardrobe almost always makes a statement.

Monáe is notorious for her unconventional pantsuits and dresses. Whether it be super-high shoulder pads or giant hats, there is no identifiable “gender” in her clothing, and she makes her style her own.

RUBY ROSE

Ruby Rose is the definition of gender fluidity in fashion. The model and actress isn’t afraid of wearing suits and button-ups, but she doesn’t skimp out on form-fitting dresses, either.

In her early modeling career, Rose was more fem-presenting. But as time went on, the star rose past the industry’s expectations and grew into the versatile powerhouse she is today.

The star spoke out against societal pressures in an interview with The Guardian, explaining that, “I wasn’t anti-modeling, I was anti being told that I had to look a certain way, and that how I looked wasn’t good enough. If anything it just made me kind of bolder, stronger. I had a bit of a problem with authority.”

BILLIE EILISH

Rather than accumulating criticism for wearing tight-fitting or revealing clothing, singer and seven-time Grammy award winner Billie Eilish has received the opposite. Eilish is notorious for wearing layers and baggy, loose-fitting clothing to hide her figure.

In doing so, the singer rebels against the sexualization and judgement that women face regarding their clothing and body type. Eilish intends to draw attention based on her character and talent rather than how feminine she appears.

As a groundbreaking influence for the new generation, Eilish’s wardrobe proves that outfits can still be fashionable without relying on a feminine figure.

GRACE JONES

Grace Jones is arguably one of the most influential women in regard to cross-dressing and gender neutral clothing.

The Jamaican-American model, actress, singer and songwriter was one of the main driving forces of the cross-dressing movement in the 80s and influenced a multitude of household names like Lady Gaga and Rihanna.

Jones’ androgynous clothing, short hair and progressive music make her a main driving force in the present-day rise in gender fluidity. Her expression of gender binarism during a time when it wasn’t as comprehensible undoubtedly paved the way for newer celebrities and influencers.

CARA DELEVINGNE

While model, actress and singer Cara Delevingne is seen sporting dresses on the runway, she likes to wear more masculine outfits in her everyday life.

In an interview with British Vogue, Delevingne delved into her non-binary expression, stating, “When I first realized that gender is so much more fluid than ‘masculine’ or ‘feminine’ it was a breakthrough moment for me.”

Delevingne chooses to wear whatever she wants, regardless of stereotype, and critics are just going to have to deal with it.

Ava Kidd is a sophomore in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications at PSU. She is double majoring in Public Relations and German. On weekends, you can find her either volunteering at the local cat rescue or solving sudoku puzzles!