Wellness > Mental Health

5 Daily Activities for Staying Stress Free in Happy Valley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

For college students, the stress of balancing exams, homework, extracurriculars, and social life becomes increasingly draining. It is so crucial to take time out of your daily routine to unwind and combat stress each day. Luckily, there are fun stress relieving activities in State College that can easily be added into your day before your stress can begin to consume and overwhelm you.  

1. Grab a coffee! … But, stay awhile. 

Coffee shops provide the perfect atmosphere to relax and unwind. Too often people are busy with their hectic lives that they rush to grab their coffee and go without embracing the calming coffee shop atmosphere. State College has an array of aesthetically pleasing coffee shops that are sure to give you can unwind from your week. Visit Irving’s, Saint’s Café, Webster’s, or Sower’s Harvest Café and take in all the sights.  

2. Spend time in the beautiful outdoors  

Winter in State College is not ideal for outdoor activities but taking a walk inside the Arboretum on campus is sure to bring you at peace with nature. A quick nature walk through the beautiful Arboretum gardens will allow you to escape from your school responsibilities for a short time while alleviating stress. The Arboretum has its’ own botanic garden for your enjoyment with special events planned throughout the year such as the “Pumpkin Festival” and “Winter Celebration.”  

3. Become a Yogi  

Penn State Campus Recreation offers dozens of free group fitness classes each week, including several yoga classes. Yoga is a great stress reducer known to calm the body and mind while also getting in a workout. Check out the campus recreation schedule to sign up!  

4. See a Movie 

Grab your friends and head to the State Theatre right in downtown State College! The State Theatre offers movies and live performances right on College Ave. Admire the history State Theatre has to offer and support local artists, spend time with friends, grab a snack, and relax! 

5. Play with Puppies 

What better way to reduce stress than to play with a furry friend? Penn State Counseling & Psychological Services provides students with the opportunity to interact with service dogs who are trained to ease stress and anxiety. Follow @lukethelabpsu on Instagram to stay updated on where to find events with the CAPS dog on campus!  

Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.