This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

In college, we do not always do what we’re supposed to. Or what he should do. It is easy to get caught up juggling all the other responsibilities we have going on. Sometimes we find ourselves missing the memo of what he should have been doing all along. We ask ourselves: Why am I weird about attending office hours? Why am I always stuck with bad professors? Why are all the best study spots taken? Well here are some college norms to catch you up to speed with other students.

It’s not you… or your essay… It’s the professor

Writing dozens upon dozens of essays is a normal part of your college experience. Whether you are a great essay writer or still struggling, I have found one universal truth: it can be the best essay you’ve ever written, and your professor can still hate it.

Endlessly googling essay tips can be a waste of time. I have had professors who had almost no opinions on my essay, and handed me an A for a mediocre paper. I have also had professors who gave me thoughtful remarks and new instructions to fix some of my grammatical mistakes and structural errors on a rushed paper. Finally, there are also professors who ‘correct’ things that are not wrong, and just want the paper done to their specifications, even if that is not clearly expressed on the rubric.

This is not something to get too worked up about. Most professors are willing to work with you to change your essay into one that is exactly how they want it done. Rarely will you get a comment like “I can’t quite express why, I just do not like it.” Many of my professors have begged students to attend office hours to get personalized help. There’s no shame in questioning the professor to evaluate where your paper went wrong to them.

Remember that no paper is free of errors. You may have had points taken off, but that may have also been fairly determined. Your college experience will be met with many frustrations. Remember to keep working towards improvement.

Stop Being Embarrassed To Attend Office Hours

During my freshmen year of college, I distinctly remember there being a weird stigma against going to office hours. I was even more confused when many of my peers proudly admitted to never going to office hours in their sophomore and junior years.

There’s nothing wrong with not attending office hours if you do not think you need to. There is also nothing wrong with attending office hours. You can gain something from attending a few whether you have an A in the class or an F.

Office hours allow you to get closer to your professor and can highlight your college experience. Professors also love to give tips on their exams and homework to help you out. They love to see the effort and try to help you get something out of your attendance. I have even received points back on assignments during office hours when my professor thought I made substantial arguments. Professors can also check projects, papers and homework before you turn them in. They can catch errors that would have lost you points. Sometimes every point counts and can mean a letter grade difference in the future.

There is no ‘type’ of student that attends office hours. Many straight A students attend regularly, which is how they maintain themselves as an A student. People attend if they are only struggling with one or two concepts. Students failing also stop in to see if they can turn things around. Having constructive conversations with your professors is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Claim Your Weekend Study Spot At Dawn

The weekend is a time full of football, sleeping, partying and more. However, it also includes studying. Or at least it should.

You know that café downtown where you want to meet with your friends to study? Pulling up there at noon may not be the best idea. I know in downtown State College all the best study spots are scooped up quickly. I swear that even 10:00 A.M is still sometimes not early enough. If you want to go to Webster’s Bookstore Café, think again. Alumni love to visit over the weekend, and take up all the tables. Do not spend hours walking place to place looking for a new spot every weekend.

Weekend study sessions can be longer than weekday ones. They’re not crammed in between classes or club meetings. When you set up shop, prep for the long run. I like to take a couple of snacks and head out before the buses get packed. Sadly, some of my favorite study spots during the week are closed, but this allows for me to look downtown for more locations.

Walk late into your big lecture

No one cares at all when you walk into your big lecture late. Like at all! It’s likely there’s going to be someone rolling up right after you walk in, and someone else may show up a full 30 minutes late.

It’s rare to get called out in a big lecture. Usually, the professor won’t say anything unless you’re being a major distraction to the other students’ learning environment. Simply walk in and pick an available seat in the back.

Unlike a small class, big lectures allow for you to blend in with the 200 other students in the hall. Your professor is not going to hate you for coming in. They probably do not even know your name. They might make general comments about people coming in late, but it’s nothing personal.

Walk into your big lecture late and proud. At least you’re attending class, which is more than some of your classmates can say.

Check Rate My Professors

Now I know your high school teachers may have told you horror stories about college professors. For the most part that is a great exaggeration of the average college professor. Despite this, it is better to be prepared than not.

If you don’t check Rate My Professors when you are selecting classes, you might want to start. They have entries from students detailing their grade, which class they took and even if a textbook is needed. Using this resource can save your GPA and wallet.

I start out making a list of potential classes I need to take and want to take the next semester. I then select my college and look up the professor. Obviously, the level of difficulty rating is important, but I also like to see the quality relating. Many difficult classes with the right professor can provide valuable insight. Difficult classes are stressful, but there are options.

It’s not always best to pick the easiest class you can find. At some point in your college career you will run into a class that only has one professor teaching it and it’s required. Make sure to be mindful of your schedule and balance your courses accordingly.

Also, remember that the people writing these reviews have their own biases toward that professor. Keep an open mind when reading over the reviews. Look at the quality of some of the explanations and assess if the judgement appears to be coming from a justifiable place. Look for consistent critiques between reviews. Is there a common issue with this professor? Are you equipped to tackle this issue? Are students giving advice on how to get through the course? Comb through as much as you can before moving on to the next professor.

This resource allows students to exchange information about professors in a productive way. Reviews can be full of advice and encouragement as well as warnings and critiques. This resource has allowed me to create expectations for my classes, so that I am better equipped to take them.

College can make you feel like you’re failing. To set yourself up for a successful career after college start thinking about how you can improve now.

I am a 3rd-year undergraduate student pursuing a Bachelor of Science in economics at Penn State. I am very excited to be a part of Her Campus!