4 Finance Podcasts Everyone should be Listening to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The economy is so vital to the functioning of our world. Young adults often don’t have much background on finances or money as they go through college and enter the workforce, but why would they? Economics classes aren’t even offered in all high schools, let alone required.

Money is a confusing topic. It covers everything from the stock market to budgeting and even decisions made by legislators.

I’ve compiled a list of my favorite podcasts about finance and money. In my opinion, these podcasts do a great job at explaining important financial concepts, mostly in a non-intimidating way. Most of these podcasts are pretty quick, so they’re perfect to listen to while walking to class or making breakfast in the morning.

1. “So Money” with Farnoosh Torabi

If you’re looking for a place to start finance podcasts, this is your spot. With over 1,200 episodes that come out a few times a week, there is an abundance of financial information on this channel. I like looking back at her earlier episodes since they cover more basic topics that make it easier to understand later episodes.

Torabi covers advice on handling student loan debt, the future of money and how to negotiate higher pay. She comes out with episodes regularly titled “Ask Farnoosh” where listeners can submit questions.

Additionally, she will rebroadcast her most popular episodes from the past so you don’t have to scroll all the way to the beginning.

Episodes are roughly 30 minutes and are packed with tips on handling your finances. Especially in COVID times, Torabi answers common financial questions that many are confused with.

1. “Planet Money”

While these episodes aren’t directly about financial topics like in “So Money,” I find this podcast helpful since it puts different scenarios into the perspective of the economy. Stories from around the world are broken down into 15 to 30-minute episodes that come out biweekly.

This podcast is an entertaining way to hear about the economy. It doesn’t feel so serious and is approachable for someone who might not have too much prior knowledge of the economy.

I don’t listen to every episode, as I usually click on the titles that most intrigue me. That being said, there hasn’t been an episode I’ve listened to that I haven’t enjoyed or learned something from.

1. “Yahoo Finance Daily”

Episodes for this show come out every weekday in the mornings, recapping the main financial news from around the world. Episodes mainly focus on the markets.

Typically, episodes start out with numbers on the stock market, including which companies reported earnings. The episodes then dive into events, typically political or social, that have influenced the decisions of investors or consumers.

At first, this podcast can seem intimidating.But, once you listen to a few episodes, the terminology starts to make sense. Each episode is anywhere from four to seven minutes, so it’s perfect for fast news.

1. “How to Money”

The two hosts, Joel and Matt, produce episodes about money that sound like a casual conversation. I find these episodes easy to follow and congenial due to the simplicity of their explanations.

While there are episodes about markets, the content is less about the stock market and more about personal finance. Similar to “So Money,” this show has an “Ask HTM” segment where they answer commonly asked questions written into their show. Episodes are 30 minutes to an hour and come out biweekly.

All shows are available wherever you get your podcasts.

Anjali grew up in Boston and is currently a freshman at Penn State University studying Economics and Political Science. Her dream job is to work as a lawyer in New York City. You can find her doing pilates, listening to podcasts, or cooking for a post on her food account (@may_i_taste).