3 unique video games that will bring life to any gathering

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

There are so many games out there that are incredibly fun to play with your friends. “Mario Kart,” “Just Dance” and “Super Mario Bros” are just some of the games that are insanely fun to play with others.

Sometimes, those games get repetitive. If you’re looking for some fun, unique games to play with your friends during your next hangout, here are the best three underated co-op games:

“Papa’s Quiz”

Everyone I have introduced this game to has instantly loved it. The chaotic customizations, wacky art style and zany “hosts” make this trivia game hilarious.

“Papa’s Quiz” is a trivia game created by Old Apes, who make co-op video games for groups of people. Up to eight people can play “Papa’s Quiz” at one time, but the rounds are quick and it is effortless to switch players each new game.

The game is “hosted” by Papa and his robot assistant Mr. Montgomery. If this already sounds chaotic to you, you’re in for a real surprise.

At the end of each round, one player gets to choose a dance to perform, which is arguably the best part of the game.

Papa’s Quiz characters

One great thing about this game is that people can join from their phones, so you don’t need eight controllers to play.

The game has many diverse categories, ranging from questions about rocks to questions about world leaders. I have never seen the same question twice, despite playing the game dozens of times.

If you’re looking for a hilarious, crazy trivia game, “Papa’s Quiz” is a crowd-pleaser.

“Overcooked”

“Overcooked” is another favorite that can be played by anyone, no matter if you have video game experience or not.

This game is level-based where you and your friends play as chefs who are honing their skills to eventually beat the boss (a giant hungry meatball).

Overcooked Characters

The chefs have to work together to complete orders before time runs out. Teamwork is essential in this game— the levels are specifically designed so that two or more people need to cooperate seamlessly to get three stars.

Overcooked Gameplay

This game can be played with up to four players, but the rounds are only a couple of minutes. It is easy to switch from level to level, so this game can definitely be used in a room full of people. It is also incredibly fun to watch.

“Overcooked” is a fun, upbeat game that will have all your friends laughing and yelling at one another.

“Keep Talking and nobody explodes”

“Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes” is an incredibly fun (and stressful) level-based game about defusing a bomb with your friends.

Each level has a unique bomb with a timer. You and your friends must do unique “modules” to defuse the bomb before time runs out—but there is a catch.

Only one player/team can look at the screen where the bomb is. The other player/team must face the wall so that they can not see the screen. However, they are equipped with a “bomb defusal manual,” which has all of the helpful information on stopping the bomb from exploding.

Manual for “Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes”

Your communication skills will be tested, especially because the game intentionally tries to make the teams miscommunicate with one another.

Any amount of people can play this game, but I would say it gets too hectic after six. The levels are really short, so any amount of people can sit out one round and then jump into the next one.

If you want to get your heart racing and bond with your friends, I highly recommend this game.

All three of these games are huge crowd-pleasers that will get everyone in a good mood. I would highly recommend gathering some friends and trying out these games — have fun!

Cayla is a third-year student at Penn State University studying Advertising and English. In the future, she hopes to be a fiction novel editor at a publishing company. This is Cayla's first year with Her Campus, but she hopes to write about all things entertainment! She previously worked for Penn State's Daily Collegian as a Performing Arts reporter and Lifestyle reporter. When she isn't writing, Cayla is an avid reader, TV watcher, and movie-goer. She also loves hanging out with her friends and playing board games together.