Who Should You Kiss On New Years Eve Consider Your Friends?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Who Should You Kiss On New Years Eve Consider Your Friends?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Canva
Life > Experiences

2022 Recap: Here Are 20 Life Lessons From 20-Somethings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Now that 2022 is over, I’m taking some time to reflect on my growth, and the changes I’ve made throughout the past year. I mean, hey, without taking time to give consideration to past experiences, how can we prepare ourselves to cultivate a new and improved 2023? 

College, for me, has been by far the most influential few years of my entire life. The exposure to new people, places, experiences, lessons and cultures, the list can literally go on forever — has been such a great chapter of my journey. I will truly hold my years at Penn State near and dear to my heart.

I can say that I feel like a completely different person from last January to now. I took on internships, learned to enjoy cooking, lived in another state, got back into creative writing and reading and even landed my first big-girl job across the country.

While I was brainstorming, I thought what better way to reflect than to ask my friends for their biggest lessons of the year.

Here are their answers.

*All answers are directly quoted.

1. Quality relationships are better than quantity.
  2. You will always be happier being yourself.
  3. Put yourself first, and don’t be afraid to be single!
  4. Timing is KEY.
    • In senior year of college, people are getting job offers, getting into law school and grad school and there is a lot of pressure that builds up. Things will come to you at the right time, you just have to trust that! Also, surround yourself with people you love, things you love and be easy on yourself.
    • Time also FLIES. The fact that there is less than one semester left is absolutely insane. Live in the moment, and reward yourself!
  5. Don’t be afraid to stay in when your friends are going out!
  6. Talk less and listen more.
  7. Boundaries!
  8. Developing a routine is key to productivity and success.
  9. Life is short and you have to cherish the people you value.
  10. I learned to not count myself out. I am capable of achieving my goals and making the most out of all opportunities.
  11. Although Bacardi has a lower alcohol percentage, you can in fact still blackout. 
  12. I learned a lot, but most importantly, to prioritize myself.
  13. Some friends aren’t forever, and no matter how hard you try to keep them in your life, some people just aren’t meant to stay.
    • I also learned that life moves very fast and if you don’t stop to take a break and smell the flowers every once in a while, you will truly miss it. One other thing I’ve learned is that romantic partners come and go, so you shouldn’t allow yourself to use them as a rock or sense of stability. You must always find that on your own; if you don’t, you will be left feeling alone.
      • I learned to pick up a book and read instead of spending time on my phone!
      • Realizing the importance of where I put my energy.
        • I’ve learned so much about transnational feminism and how to give speeches among other new skills and topics. I’ve learned that life’s a lot more simple and more enjoyable when I focus my energy on responsibilities, self-care and my loved ones. Life is so short that overthinking does way more harm than good.
        • Lastly, humor will always be there when life feels really heavy.
      • Don’t stay in something that no longer suits you. I need a new job!
      • I learned a lot about self-love and how important it is to learn to enjoy your own company.
      • I should prioritize my own mental health above anyone else’s.
      • Patience is key.
      • I’ve learned to appreciate every moment, no matter how seemingly unimportant it is.

And if you’re at Penn State, make sure to take number 11 seriously.

Allison is a senior at Penn State University, studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics. When she isn't writing for Her Campus, you can catch her cooking, making coffee, reading or staying updated while watching her favorite YouTube vloggers.