This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Breakfast

• Playa Bowl 

• Yummy and vegan-friendly, Playa Bowls is the perfect place for a quick bite for breakfast or lunch. The environment is fun and colorful, scattered with neon signs, lights, and cute decor like little plants and games. Though they can be a bit pricey, their fruit bowls are like smoothie heaven in a bowl packed with granola and all your favorite fruits. Not in the mood for fruit? Try one of their poke bowls, filled with yummy veggies like avocado and beets, or meats like tuna or shrimp. 

• Bagel Crust

• Only open until 3p.m., the place is usually packed open to close. That’s because after a night out, nothing tastes better than bacon, egg, and cheese on a bagel with a nice side of OJ. What could be better? Seats are also placed outside for when the small shop is full, perfect for those crisp fall mornings. 

• The Waffle Shop 

• A Penn State favorite, this place isn’t loved because of it’s somewhat-outdated, retro decor. It’s because of the thick waffles, fluffy eggs, and home fries cooked to perfection. The best part? Breakfast is served ALL DAY. Yeah. Bring cash because this place doesn’t take cards or lioncash. And if you don’t feel like waiting in a line a mile long, get there early! 

Lunch

• Sauly Boys (lunch) 

• Although a bit on the expensive side, Sauly Boys has daily specials such as Free Fry Friday and Two for Tuesday, where you can an extra free hot dog. Come in with a friend and split the price for a single hot dog while getting two! A fan of milkshakes? They have plenty, from Reese’s to Oreo to just plain vanilla or chocolate. The space is nestled right in the middle of downtown, but usually isn’t  too busy – perfect for grabbing some fries or a shake and getting to work! Don’t like meat? Try their vegetarian burger! 

• Yallah (lunch)

• With two places downtown – Yallah Burrito on Garner St. and Yalla Taco on McAllister – this place is convenient and delicious. Want to eat outside? Head to Yallah Taco and sit on one of the many colorful benches or tables scattered around the stand. Rather eat inside? Head to Yallah Burrito and chill inside the spacious home of The Most Amazing Quesadilla You’ll Ever Have Ever. If you like mexican, you’ll love Yallah. Trust me.

• Underground Burgers and Crepes 

• This place is hidden in a downstairs side-street on Calder Way, but the burgers and crepes (especially the crepes) are worth the search. Yummy and inexpensive, they offer turkey burgers, cajun fries, and the option to “build your own burger,” as well as your own crepe. The place is also covered in a chalkboard filled with cool, decorative art, and the tables house mismatched art clips beneath them, making the place good for your wallet, your tummy, and your ~vibes.~ 

Dinner 

• Spats at the grill (date night)

• Want to have a date night somewhere nice but don’t feel like emptying your wallet? Try Spats at the Grill, right above the trusty Corner Room. When the Corner Room just isn’t doing it for you, head upstairs and enjoy dining on steak, fettuccine alfredo, or even vegetable jambalaya. Tip: the best seat in the place is in the corner, surrounded by large windows that overlook Atherton. Around the holidays, look down below and see the lights greeting you as you wine and dine. What could be better?

• Baby’s 

• More casual than Spats, Baby’s is a great place to take a first date or simply grub and chat with a friend or two. This retro spot has everything to satisfy any 1950s-esque cravings you might be having. 

• Primanti Bros (fries on your burger?!)

• Care for some fries on your burger? 10$ boneless wings? A dark atmosphere where no one can see you shoveling ten fries into your mouth at once? Yeah, come to Primanti’s. Over 21? They have half-priced happy hour, too. 

I am currently a senior at Penn State pursuing a degree in Criminology and Sociology. If I'm not running, I'm writing, and if I'm not writing, I'm probably watching true crime TV. Lover of scary movies, spicy foods, and all things Disney.
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.