2015 Homecoming King Serge Gaba

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We got the chance to talk to Serge Gaba, Penn State’s 2015 Homecoming King! He talked to us about why he applied and the honor of being named one of Penn State’s most exciting titles.

Name: Serge Gaba

Year: Senior 

Major: Computer Science and Information Science and Technology 

Hometown: Allentown, PA

HC: Why did you decide to apply for Student Court?

SG: I chose to apply to Student Court because a couple faculty members who nominated me for the court told me that this was an opportunity to be a representation of all the amazing things that this university stands for. They noticed that a majority of the work that I did was behind the scenes and didn’t require recognition for me to feel fulfilled, but this was an opportunity to showcase it. They encouraged me to apply because they told me when they first heard the theme “A Legacy to Shape the Future,” I was the first person they thought of with all my mentorship involvement and love for the university. I also applied because I felt that, for me, to make it on the court would show what the diversity at Penn State stood for and allow me to continue to instill pride in my student body.

HC: What was your favorite part about being on Student Court?

SG: My favorite part of being on Student Court was all the amazing people I was able to meet. I had the opportunity to meet some of Penn State’s most passionate students, faculty, and alumni who truly carried the pride in them in everything that they did. Being able to spend the week with them and interact with them was truly one of my best experiences at Penn State thus far.

HC: If you could describe your experience on Student Court in three words, what would they be?

SG: Honoring, humbling, exciting.

HC: How do you feel about being Penn State’s Homecoming King for 2015?

SG: I feel honored to be Penn State’s Homecoming King for 2015. I am truly humbled because the gentlemen whom I had the pleasure of spending Homecoming week with were just as deserving of this title as I am. I look forward to continuing to use the title to continue to capitalize on every opportunity presented to me and to leave my legacy at the university and in the lives of fellow students.

HC: If you could give anyone advice about applying for Student Court if given the opportunity, what would it be and why?

SG: If I could give any advice on applying to Student Court, my advice would be to be as genuine as possible and truly think about what it is about Penn State that inspires you to be better. Everyone has a different story and experience with the university, and it is that story that makes us unique, so be sure to share it.

HC:What are you going to miss most about being a student at Penn State?

SG: I think I am going to miss my friends the most when I graduate from Penn State. I have met some of the greatest people in my life here, and I am going to miss them so much after graduation when life takes us our separate ways.

Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.