20 Old School Movies for a Bad Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

At this point in the semester, we might spend a couple days stressed over work and busy schedules. So take some time to kick back, relax and watch some amazing movies! 

1. Clueless

Nothing can cheer you up like the combination of ’90s fashion, Cher’s sass, and a mini Paul Rudd. Clueless is an absolute go-to for gloomy day fix.

2. Big Fat Liar

A true testament to the early 2000s, Big Fat Liar combines terrible hair accessories, young Amanda Bynes, and the almost forgotten Frankie Muniz – all guaranteed to brighten your day.

3. She’s The Man

Speaking of Amanda Bynes, She’s The Man deserves a rightful spot at the top of the list for movies that will cheer you up.

4. Forrest Gump

Just the name makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. There’s nothing this classic (or ice cream) can’t fix.

5. Bring It On

Any of the three Bring It On movies will do the job. Each is filled with enough cheer puns to put a smile on your face.

6. 13 Going On 30

An all-around good choice for a good day, too. Grab some Razzles and bring on the waterworks.

7. Love Actually

So many happy tears. So many.

8. Legally Blonde

If you’re feeling down, you need some of Elle Woods’s confidence and smarts to bring you back up. If that somehow doesn’t work, give the bend and snap a try.

9. Monsters, Inc.

We can always rely on Pixar to make us laugh, cry, and feel like kids again.

10. Freaky Friday

Everyone could use a little 2003 Lindsay.

11. A Cinderella Story

There’s nothing that Chad Michael Murray can’t solve.

12. The Cheetah Girls

Cheetah power, girl power, some odd cheetah fashion choices, musical numbers, this movie has it all.

13. Model Behavior

Remember this? It’s got all of the Disney Channel Original Movie flair that we miss, plus blonde and curly-haired Justin Timberlake. I know, I forgot, too.

14. Material Girls

Material Girls has to be one of the most underrated movies of the 2000s. This time, we have both Duff sisters to thank.

16. The Lizzie McGuire Movie

Is this Hilary’s third appearance on this list? You bet. She earned it with her Paolo takedown and once in a lifetime Colosseum concert.

16. Twitches

Magical twins and a Disney Channel Halloween movie? You’re all set.

17. Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen

There’s nothing quite like a typical 2004 high-school romantic comedy that ends with a huge musical number.

18. Stuck in the Suburbs

A much-needed flashback to the Panabaker era of Disney Channel.

19. Toy Story

Another Pixar classic that makes you light up. All three movies work, but use Toy Story 3 for extra tears over Andy going to college.

20. Parent Trap

Last and definitely not least, The Parent Trap is always, always a good choice for a rom com that pulls at your heart strings from start to finish.

Take a well-deserved break, sit back, and enjoy one of these movie choices collegiettes!

Credit: 1

Becky Sorensen is a senior at Penn State, double majoring in Public Relations and Political Science. You can find her on campus with an iced coffee in one hand and an everything bagel in the other. Clear your schedule before asking her how she feels about the Harry Potter series, New York City, or about the next trip she’s planning - she tends to ramble. Loudly. You can follow her at @beckylalalaa on Twitter and @beckysorensen on Instagram for hilarious puns or her undying love for THON and Penn State football.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.