15 Fashion Essentials You Can’t Live Without This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The temperature is climbing, and school is out. Now that you can focus on the warmer temperatures and sunny weather, it’s time to shop for what you will need for this summer. Here is a list of some essentials that you should incorporate into your wardrobe for a fabulous and fashionable summer. 

1. Rompers

A romper is a very versatile item that you will need in your summer wardrobe. It can go with your favorite cardigan or kimono, or you can wear it by itself with a pair of sandals and a crossbody bag. Stores, such as Lulu*s and Tobi, have plenty of diverse rompers to choose from that will match your unique style. We recommend this fabulous romper from Tobi, which is $66 and can work for a day in the sun or a night out with your friends.

2. High-Waisted Swimsuits

A high-waisted swimsuit is a must-have this summer. These fashionable two-pieces are coming back in style, and they are a little bit classier than normal triangle bikinis. Make sure to pick one up when you are suit shopping this summer, like this stylish one from PacSun. The top and bottom together is around $50. 

3. Girly Towels

Let’s be real – every collegiette needs a pretty towel. That is a bold statement, and we are standing by it. Whether you are lying out in the sun by the pool or at the beach, a girly towel adds a touch of confidence and style. This patriotic one is $24.95 from Victoria’s Secret PINK. 

4. Floral Sundresses 

A sundress is vital for the summertime because it can be worn on a date or to dinner with some friends. We would not steer you wrong – a sundress is another must-have on our list of summer essentials. Splurge on this one from Tobi for $60.

5. Pool Floaties

Make your swimming pool more enjoyable this summer with these floaties from Urban Outfitters for just $29. Your pool will instantly become a little more fun and a whole lot more stylish. 

6. Kimonos 

A kimono is great for layering and can also work as a coverup for your swimsuit. A kimono can be worn many different ways, so it is definitely another must-have for summer. You can take it from everyday wear to any concert you may attend this summer. You will feel relaxed and beautiful in this one from Urban Outfitters for $49. 

7. Destroyed Skinny Jeans

Skinny jeans are great for those cool summer nights. You can wear them with a tank or cami, or you can roll them up to transform into cropped jeans for a more casual look. You will need a pair of these for your wardrobe this summer. HC PSU recommends this pair from PacSun that is currently on sale for $19.99. 

8. Tank Dresses

A tank dress is the perfect piece to slip on after a day at the pool or beach. The best part about this simple dress is that you can use it as a coverup during the day and dress it up with a few accessories when you go out at night. Try this one from Aerie for American Eagle for $11.99.  

9. Beach Totes

A beach tote is great to hold all of your stuff for a busy summer day. Whether it is an outdoor picnic with friends or a day at the beach, you will need a cute tote to carry all of your things. You can purchase this adorable tote from Victoria’s Secret PINK for only $19.95. 

10. Peasant Tops

A peasant top is another necessity you will need for those concerts and music festivals. Pair this top with high-waisted black jeans and your favorite sandals, and you will be summer concert ready. We know that you will look fabulous in this one from Forever 21 for $19.90. 

11. Sandals

A pair of trendy sandals can dress up any outfit. Grab a pair that are versatile with a neutral color, so it can go with multiple pieces in your wardrobe. Try this pair from Zappos for $69.

12. Trendy Sunglasses

A pair of eye-catching sunglasses that are trendy and hip can accessorize an outfit on a sunny day. With a stylish pair of sunglasses, you can block out the sun and look chic at the same time. HC PSU recommends that you embrace your “nasty” and get these sunglasses from Nasty Gal now on sale for $12.50. 

13. Metallic Tattoos 

Metallic tattoos can add a bit of personality to any outfit. These tattoos are the perfect addition to a boho-chic outfit. They are also great if you want to add a unique touch to a simple outfit. We recommend the $21 ones from IAMU Collective, a boutique that specializes in a wide range of these types of tattoos. Or check out the HC-approved Blink Tattoos.

14. Flowy Skirts

A flowy skirt is another useful piece to have in your wardrobe this summer. Skirts can easily dress up any outfit, and they are the perfect complement to a crop top. You can wear this skirt for a date night or going out with your girlfriends. You will be sure to turn heads with this one from Urban Outfitters for $39. 

15. Stylish Hats 

A hat is great to add a little edge to your outfit and keep the sun out of your eyes at the beach or a festival. Find a hat that doubles as comfy and stylish that suits you, like this trendy one from Forever 21 for $19.90. 

There you have it, collegiettes! With these 15 fashion essentials, your summer will be nothing short of fabulous.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.