jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Thoughts Running Through the Mind of a Barista

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you work in a coffee shop or anywhere that serves coffee, you know what I’m about to talk about. We all know those picky, annoying customers that come in and expect way too much from us and our single-serve espresso machines. Here are ten things we say and think as a barista every. single. day.

1.  “Yes, we have almond milk, Janet.” “Yes, I’ll make sure they don’t use 2%.” “Yes, I promise we will use almond milk.”

2. So, that’s a triple half-caff extra dry cappuccino with soy milk and vanilla? Yep, I’ll definitely remember all of that.

3. A large black coffee with cream? So, which is it?

4. I know you just told me your name but I don’t remember it, so I’m just going to yell out, “Large vanilla latté!”

5. A triple-latté with two extra shots? Alright, John, but when you have a heart attack I don’t want to hear it.

6. I know you’re trying to make small talk with me while I finish your order, but I cannot mentally handle talking about the weather one more time.

7. “I’ll have a large decaf latté with an extra shot.” What’s the point of the extra shot? It’s decaf.

8. “Oh, sorry, I haven’t had my coffee yet!” Alright, Greg.

9. Oh, please keep throwing your half-full coffee cups in the trashcan. I love when the bag leaks all over my shoes and the floor! I can’t think of anything more fun!

10. It’s 30 seconds until we close, but sure, I’ll make you a large frozen caramel latté with almond milk. Let me just get out the blender and everything else I just cleaned so I can rewash it all again in two minutes.

Although it may seem like I hate every single part of my job, there are a few perks… like free coffee. Thanks a latté!

Hi all! My name is Alicia. I am currently a senior at Penn State University, where I major in Human Development and Family Studies, and minor in Rehab Human Services. I am not sure what the future holds for me, but I do know that I want to work with other people and help as much as possible. I am a social person, and love to make people laugh! I also love to bake, so you'll either find me in the kitchen or in my bed watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Creativity is something I'd like to think that I possess, so follow me on Instagram and be the judge @aliciamcc !
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.