This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Being in a state of sadness is hard to escape. This is a feeling that almost everyone is aware of and sometimes can’t get rid of for a very long time; heartbreak can be painful and the stages of grief can be different depending on the relationship you might be getting out of.

According to the urban dictionary, a “situationship” is considered to be a romantic or sexual relationship that is not considered to be formal or established.

I would say it is similar to a normal relationship but causes a lot more stress because of the obvious issue that there is not meant to be a label on it. With any relationship, even those that don’t have a label, it takes time to get over and move on when it comes to an end.

Everyone that goes through these feelings will heal at their own pace. It does not hurt to try and mend those feelings. These are the 10 steps I would take to move on from that place of feeling sad and hurt. These are the overall steps you can follow to move on when you are ready to do so. These steps can be taken in order or switched to fit the way you are ready to move on. 

Accept the feelings you have 

The first step in this process might just be the hardest to face because of the term “accepting.” For me, one of the hardest things to do is accept the truth and face the reality that needs to be moved on from. I have come to realize that when feelings are not discussed it is hard to grow and face the truth. 

Give yourself all the time you need

Time is important. The feelings that you might have for someone even if you tell them about these feelings or not, can create a huge burden on your heart. This feeling may feel like it will last forever but eventually, it will go away and a new crush will be spoken of. 

Consider your crush from a realistic perspective 

When a crush is formed, it is created with a fantasy behind the entire situation. We tend to only focus on the positive traits that have been influenced to create your crush.

Grieve the loss of what you hoped for 

No matter how the relationship ended, started or took place, grieve your relationship. The end may not have been something you wanted to come out of this relationship. From there it is okay to grieve this loss and move on as you see fit. 

Confide in the people around you 

The people that you surround yourself with are the people who will help you through this loss the most. They are the people you can talk to about what you are really feeling and sometimes what you want to say.

Look forward to the future 

With change comes growth and with growth, you will be able to give yourself a better chance to excel in the future. 

Get busy with other parts of your life 

Another way to face a breakup is to give yourself distractions. Take care of yourself by distracting yourself and keeping busy every day. I like to distract myself by spending time with the people who love me. If I am not distracting myself, I am thinking about my feeling Take something you may be upset about and create good outcomes from it. 

Reframe your future feelings 

The idea of what you thought was going to come from your relationship can be changed and moved on from. The feelings for the future are going to be looked at as new and more reliable to yourself.  

Try to do it again 

When you are finally ready, it is okay to move on and see who you can open up to again. These feelings come and go and each situation that you are put in should be something that helps you grow as a person and understand relationships even more.

I am a Junior at Penn State studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics. I love fashion, food, and anything beauty-related which can be found a common trend throughout my articles.