10 Signs You Came To Penn State From A Small High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Some people just don’t understand it. When you walk through campus and don’t know a single person from one end to the other, you realize you miss seeing the people you couldn’t stand because at least they weren’t strangers to you. This is what it feels like to go from a graduating class of less than 100 to more than 10,000 when you come to The Pennsylvania State University.

1. When you first got here, you were low-key jealous of your friends who came here with a built-in squad from their big high school

2. Then again, you’re glad that you were a lone wolf that got to branch out ASAP

3. You still can’t shake the feeling that you’ll see someone you know no matter where you are or where you’re going

4. You’re still surprised at how quickly this campus began to feel so small and how many people you got to know and end up seeing EVERYWHERE

5. You probably have small talk with your people from your town (even and especially in the Canyon line)

6. You never take for granted your newfound anonymity

7. You’re always excited to see someone from home regardless of how close you were in high school

8. Your very brief stint in intramural sports showed that you aren’t as good at sports as your eight varsity letters led you to believe

9. You may have even come from a school without a football team at all

… but seriously.

10. In the end though, you’d never take back your choice of coming to the happiest of valleys

Then you realize why complain when you go to the best school in the world? Change is good – going to a big school makes it seem more like the adult world. Home will always be there, but big schools and new people lead us to new opportunities and experiences. Never be afraid of change, collegiettes!

Photo credit: 1

Catherine is a Freshman at Penn State University from Sewickley, Pa. She can usually be found in Findlay Commons studying International Politics and Asian Studies, sipping on a Grande Iced Caramel Macchiato (extra shot of espresso, please) in the Delta Gamma suite, bringing khaki back while giving campus tours with Lion Scouts, talking politics with the Penn State College Democrats, writing articles for Her Campus, or ~maybe~ on the IM indoor track. If she were to have a beauty paegant talent she would order pizza to the tune of "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes." Catherine hopes to one day teach English in China then go on to work in an American embassy. 
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.