10 Semi-Unhealthy Things That Are Acceptable On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is coming up, and lots of girls are looking forward to a day solely devoted to spending time with their significant other. But here’s the truth: this day full of roses, chocolate boxes and larger-than-normal teddy bears is also… well, not necessarily everyone’s thing. If this applies to you and find yourself dreading its arrival, don’t worry—you can definitely cut yourself a break on a couple things. Here are 10 semi-unhealthy things that are totally, completely, 100% acceptable on Valentine’s Day.

1. Stuffing your face with every single type of sugary, processed food item you can think of

It’s fine – I’ll just eat a salad or something later.

2. And of course, stuffing your face with the cheap chocolates you pretend someone got for you

Seriously, no one has to know.

3. Ruthlessly stalking your ex on all forms of social media

*three years after breaking up* What if we were meant to be, and he just doesn’t know it?

4. Watching any chick flick you can possibly find on Netflix

It’s only a matter of time before Ryan Gosling falls in love with me, too. Just wait.

5. Drinking straight out of the wine bottle

If no one’s asking me to share, why would I?  

6. Calling your mom about that one guy from that one class whose feelings just don’t seem to match with yours

“He’ll realize it one day, right? Mom, I promise I’m not crazy. Yes, of course he knows I exist!”  

7. Having a romantic FaceTime date with your pet from home

People will just assume I’m talking to my long distance boyfriend.

8. Investing in your fair share of “I Hate Valentine’s Day” merchandise

Trust me, this “Valentine’s Day is for losers” shirt is completely necessary.

9. Rolling your eyes in disgust at every couple you see

They’ll probably break up, like, tomorrow anyways.

10. Throwing yourself a pity party

Pretty self-explanatory.

Don’t sweat it, collegiettes. If the typical Valentine’s Day celebration methods are not for you, that’s totally okay! There will be a day in the near future when someone special comes along and wants more than anything to give you the perfect Valentine’s Day. Until then, just think of this day as the perfect excuse to be a little selfish, break a couple rules and most importantly…

Photo credit: 1

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.