This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s that wonderful time of the year again – time to pack up your clothes, say good bye to that summer beach house, and go back to Happy Valley. It can be stressful trying to figure out how to make the most of your time at Penn State – should you join a club, go Greek, get into sports? Well, if you’re a writing aficionado like me or just someone looking to get more involved on campus, I’m here to tell you that joining Her Campus is one of the best decisions you could make.

Build up your resume!

If you’re anything like me, the minute you get back on campus is the minute you start stressing about getting some new additions on your resume. It’s a tough job market out there and we all have to try our hardest to make ourselves stand out, right? Well, Her Campus is an AMAZING way to get something fresh on your resume, and the best part is that there’s opportunities all the time to do more – when I joined, I was just writing a couple articles a semester. Now, I’m the social media director for the entire Penn State chapter. Is that not the coolest thing ever?

Improve your writing!

Whether you’re a Communications major or not, everyone could stand to use some touchups and improvements to their writing. By joining Her Campus, my writing has improved immensely and now I’m confident I can write about anything successfully. Speaking about writing about anything…

Write whatever you want!

One of the best parts about Her Campus is having the freedom to write about anything your little heart desires. I’ve written about a range of topics that interest me, from satirical articles about Halloween costumes to serious articles about current events.

Meet new people!

This is especially good if you’re a freshman that’s not sure how to make Penn State’s huge campus feel a little smaller. Her Campus is full of all kinds of diverse and intelligent women, and I’m proud to say I’ve made some great friends just from those meetings once a week.

It’s not as time-consuming as some other orgs on campus!

Another great thing about Her Campus, especially if you’re busy like me, is that it’s not a huge time commitment. Seriously – one meeting once a week and two articles a month is like nothing compared to the time commitment that some other clubs and sports require.

Find internships!

I didn’t even know this before I joined, but Her Campus is a great way to find internships for the summer or even on campus! Her Campus has applications for summer internships for their company and lots of other companies around the US right on their website and you can even join Her Campus and use it AS an internship. Talk about perks, right?

Reach new audiences!

There are hundreds, if not thousands of chapters of Her Campus around the country. This means that when your articles get published, not only are they being read by people at your university, they’re also reaching women on college campuses everywhere. Having something you created be viewed and appreciated by people is one of the best feelings, is it not?

Make your voice heard!

You already know you can write whatever kind of articles you want – silly, topical, satirical – but one of the best things about Her Campus is that you can delve into any topic you want. Some of the most rewarding articles I’ve written have been about serious things going on in the world, and I’ve been able to share my opinion on these topics all while feeling heard and appreciated by the women I write with.

Feel appreciated!

Seriously, the people on Her Campus are the best – not only am I able to express myself through my writing, but the women on Penn State’s chapter are some of the kindest, most supportive (and funniest) people I’ve met here at Penn State. The great thing about being a part of this team is that you can be whoever you want to be and feel welcome while doing it.

The perks are unreal!

Obviously you’re already filling out the application right now, but if you’re still not sure whether HerCampus is the place for you, let me tell you about my favorite part – the perks. HerCampus regularly gets products from different companies that you can choose to write sponsored articles for, or just receive a free goody bag for being a member. Last semester, I wrote an article about an amazing self-tanner and received a few bottles to try so I could write about it (and since it was April and I hadn’t seen the sun in months, it was a godsend). Other times we’ve received products ranging from beauty, to self-care, to sanitary.

Sound good to you? Apply here! We can’t wait to see you!

I am a Public Relations major at the Pennsylvania State University. When I'm not writing for Her Campus, I enjoy watching the Office and volunteering at my local animal shelters.
Allie Bausinger is a Penn State University graduate who majored in Print/Digital Journalism with a minor in English. She is from "outside Philadelphia," which in her case is Yardley, Pennsylvania. Allie is looking for full-time employment in writing, editing, fact-checking, podcasting, and other areas of the journalism and writing fields.