Millie Bobby Brown in Enola Holmes
Millie Bobby Brown in Enola Holmes
Netflix

10 Most Empowering Movie Quotes By Female Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Becoming a member of Her Campus has taught me a lot about female empowerment and self-love. Her Campus is full of strong powerful women who inspire me daily. The film industry however doesn’t always have dynamic female characters, but when they do it’s exhilarating. These are the most empowering movie quotes spoken by some mighty women.

“I’m a damsel. I’m in distress. I can handle this. Have a nice day!”

This quote is from the Disney icon, Meg from Hercules. Despite being in a sticky situation, Meg can take care of herself and still spread some positivity on her enemies.

“Women, they have minds and they have souls, as well as hearts they’ve got ambition and they’ve got talent as well as just beauty.”

This quote was by Jo March from Little Women. Although Little Women was released just last year, it is set in a time before women were valued for anything other than beauty or for their skills as a housewife and mother. Jo March touches on the depth and complexity of women, which is very nuanced coming from a woman of that time period.

“Girls come on, leaving the saving of the world to men? I don’t think so!”

Elastigirl from The Incredibles is easily one of the best superheroes of all time. She knows women can save the world and encourages them to do so. She’s a total inspiration.

“The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it, for the first time with a sense of hope. Because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too.”

This quote was spoken by Sarah Connor from The Terminator. After watching the world crumble she still has faith in society. She says we can learn the value of human life, which can still be applied to our world today, especially since we are living through a pandemic. 

“Don’t you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You may not marry a girl just because she’s pretty, but my goodness doesn’t it help?”

Lorelei Lee from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Marilyn Monroe and all of her movie characters are iconic in the glamorous old Hollywood era. I can see this sassy quote sending chills down anyone’s spine.

“I am not a prize to be won.”

Princess Jasmine from Aladdin was quick to speak out on the objectification of women. Jasmine is able to teach even young children watching that no woman should be considered a prize to be won. Jasmine was one of the first Disney Princesses to stand up for herself, and she was an instant inspiration to little girls everywhere! 

“It’s not my job to make you feel like a man, I can’t make you something you’re not.”

This quote is from Crazy Rich Asians and spoken by Astrid Leong. She was able to stand up for herself while still remaining bold and strong. Wouldn’t we all want to be this way?

“I would make a great queen because I am stubborn – if that is what I wanted.”

Nakia from Black Panther is a great example of a dynamic female character. There is so much power behind this quote. She considers the position as a choice and she knows she would be great; however, she knows she’s already great and doesn’t need any sort of validation.

“I know how to run without you holding my hand!”

This quote was spoken by Rey from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Time after time in the trilogy of sequel Star Wars movies we see Rey challenging gender norms as a female protagonist in a formerly more male-dominated movie series. She is such a strong woman and a breath of fresh air in the Star Wars saga. 

“My courage always rises with every attempt to intimidate me.”

This quote is from Pride and Prejudice and was spoken by Elizabeth Bennet. She is strong and brave and despite the attempts of others to tear her down she only grows stronger.

These are some of the most empowering movie quotes and characters I have seen on the big screen. Dynamic, intelligent, and powerful women are something we need more of in the film industry. Watching these women, inspires me to be a strong powerful woman; and I hope it inspires you too.

Jackie Maese is a senior at Penn State majoring in Telecommunications and Theater Studies. If she's not writing at her laptop, you can probably find her cooking up a masterpiece, petting a dog, or eating a New Jersey bagel.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.