CBA EdgetoEdge Divider 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CBA EdgetoEdge Divider 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design

10 Essential Items When Going Abroad in Europe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Study abroad applications are out people!

If you’re like me, you’ve already started filling up your “European Summer” Pinterest board with all the aesthetic and outfit inspiration you can find.

While I was deep in the rabbit hole, I accumulated the top ten trendiest essentials to look into getting for your next trip to Europe.

Heels

Europeans don’t mess around. If you’re wearing flip-flops, you’re doing it all wrong. Buy yourself a nice pair of comfortable heels that you can wear around town during the day or night.

My suggestion? Just get a simple pair of black stilettos (these can never go wrong).

Trench Coat

You’ll thank yourself for this purchase, especially if you are heading over to rainy London.

Trendy Trench Coats

Surprisingly, trench coats are extremely versatile because you can wear them on top of a cocktail dress or a sweat set. Either way, the trench coat elevates the outfit and no one will suspect you are a tourist.

Midi Dresses

This is for my people going to the sunnier parts of Europe. Short dresses are out, midi dresses are in.

Personally, I feel like this type of dress has been on trend since 2019 and it never disappoints. Conservative? Stylish? Comfortable? I’m sold.

Embrace Your Inner Emma Chamberlain
Dress Pants (and Suit Jacket)

You want to appear like a rich, successful businesswoman. 9/10 you are not a businesswoman, which just makes you more mysterious and fun.

Whatever it is, you can dress these pieces up or down depending on the occasion.

Tote Bag

One thing is for sure, you will be walking or taking the subway a lot, so pack your life away in a big mom purse or tote bag.

If you really want to impress, get a simple cloth tote with a fun quote and pack all your essentials in it.

Sunnies

Rain or shine, you need sunglasses.

It elevates the outfit even if you are just in a simple sweat set you threw on 10 minutes ago. These amazon glasses are super popular and go with literally anything.

Leather Jacket

Essential especially for cities like London or Paris.

Leather Jacket in Europe

Just like the trench coat, this jacket can go with any kind of vibe or mood. It is also the perfect jacket to wear on top of your ‘going out’ fit for a night on the town.

Jewelry Jewelry Jewelry

Amazon, yet again, is the place to look for the cutest jewelry.

I’m talking chunky hoops, necklaces and of course bracelets.

Lately, these have been trending and are the easiest accessory to wear if nothing else.

Basics

In Europe, basics are your best friend. Stock up on plain-colored t-shirts, sweaters and pants. If you are ever lost on what to wear, put together a simple outfit and accessorize as much as you can!

Scarves

If it is cold get a thick, knitted scarf and bundle up with style. If you are in one of the coastal areas like Greece you’ll need a small silk scarf to use as a hair accessory.

Silk Hair Scarf

You can wear this around your neck like Audrey Hepburn or in your hair in many different ways.

I hope this sparked some interest in those of you traveling to Europe this upcoming summer or in the following semesters!

Hi, my name is Ria! I'm a junior at Penn State University studying Political Science and English.