10 American Horror Story Episodes For Watching On Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

“American Horror Story” has solidified itself in television history. It’ll always be known as one of the series that tested the boundaries of TV and became a surprising success. Eight seasons later, there are sure to be some episodes that are the best to watch. It’s almost Halloween now, so there’s no better way to chill out than to sit down with a couple of friends and watch these classic “AHS” episodes. Here are the top ones to view during this spooky time:

10. “Monsters Among Us” (Season 4)

The opening episode to the fourth season. As an homage to the last season with Jessica Lange as a series regular, this has to be on the list. Freak Show, although different from the last three seasons, served some of the best scares of the series. 

9. “Checking In” (Season 5)

Lady Gaga as a vampire queen? Yes, please. Honestly, her being in this season at all is a reason why most people watched it; she was the best part. 

8. “Bitchcraft” (Season 3)

Coven is no doubt one of the best seasons of “AHS.” Led almost completely by a female cast, these powerhouses showed us what being a witch would be like in modern day, if that were real. They also kicked butt while doing so. Even my mother who normally doesn’t like things like witchcraft binge watched this season because it was so good. 

7. “Welcome to Briarcliff” (Season 2) 

One of the creepier seasons. Asylum tested the limits of what could be shown on TV, but did so in incredible fashion. The titular episode brings the main character into a whole new world none of us have experienced, and that alone is enough to make anyone shiver in fright. 

6. “Pilot” (Season 1)

Of course, I can’t have an “AHS” list without including the pilot to the whole series. Although most of this cast hasn’t been in the series for a while, anyone can still go back and feel the eeriness from the moment they step into the murder house. It’s a classic episode. 

5. “The Name Game” (Season 2)

One of Jessica Lange’s best performances in the series. We see the downfall of Sister Jude as she sinks further and further into insanity. We also get to see one of the creepiest, yet fun, dance scenes in all of TV history. It’s a fun watch if you don’t think about what’s going on behind the scenes at this twisted asylum. 

4. “The Seven Wonders” (Season 3)

The last episode of season three puts all the witches against each other in scary tasks, each of which cause a new, horrible situation to happen. It’s the ultimate episode of all things witchcraft and it comes together nicely at the end, but not without some scary parts like “AHS” is supposed to be. 

3. “Halloween: Part 1 & Halloween: Part 2” (Season 1)

The first season’s two-parter brings the scares with ease. We see new facts revealed about the house, along with some creepiness we hadn’t seen yet, and something seems to definitely be off with this house. This is considered to be one of the best episodes of the season overall. 

2. “Burn, Witch, Burn!” (Season 3) 

No one thought that zombies would ever make a real appearance in this show. Well in this episode they did, and in great, horrifying fashion; it’s a shocker, that’s for sure. However, the zombies aren’t even the creepiest part of this episode. 

1. “Return to Murder House” (Season 8)

This is the episode that I want anyone who’s seen the last seasons to watch. The combination of two of the best eras of the show – Murder House and Coven – created one of the best crossovers in the series. We get to see Jessica Lange again as Constance, and we also get to see the witches and warlocks interact with the characters that originally made us want to tune into the show once a week. It truly is just that amazing of a crossover; it felt like watching the old episodes, which is hard to recreate.

Hopefully you all enjoy watching these episodes again, and if you’ve never seen “American Horror Story” before then now’s the perfect time!

Alexandra is a senior at Penn State majoring in Digital-Print Journalism in the College of Communications. She is the assistant editor for Her Campus and loves everything else PSU has to offer her. She is involved with the Onward State, and would like to somehow benefit THON. Alex loves to write, sing, bake, and dance around like no one is watching. Alex is known to love her animals, including her cat, Grace, who isa little devil at the same time. Oh, and pizza. She loves pizza like it's her world. Follow her on Instagram for her craziness: allieramos1698
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.