Writer Spotlight: Jakim Lett

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Meet Jakim! He’s currently a sophomore majoring in English with a minor in Film Studies. His creativity has given him the gift of writing, and he’s also an occasional writer for HC PSU Berks! He’s responsible for writing two articles that have been featured which are titled “You Should Be Here” for the Tsunami of Kehlani” and “Rihanna’s 2016 Return with “ANTI” Is Sure to Shake Up the Year’s Music Scene.” He says, “I always knew that whatever I did as an adult, I would be expressing my creativity. Writing first became the main career choice in 2008 when I joined a youth organization called Lil’ Filmmakers back home in Philadelphia. There I learned the art and fundamentals of filmmaking but mainly learned screenwriting and over time became the program’s Head Writer and Production Manager.” He gets inspiration for his writing from events he’s been a part of and stories from his own life.

His favorite writers/authors are L.J. Smith, Maya Angelou, J.K. Rowling, Rick Riordan, Langston Hughes, and William Shakespeare. His personal preference for when he writes is to be completely isolated with low music playing and the rain pouring outside. On his down time, his favorite book to read is none other than Twilight by Stephanie Meyer! As he talked about himself as a writer, he said, “I love that I could create a universe with just a thought. Writing has also put the importance of storytelling in movies for me. Every single person has an imagination that aches to be used every second of every day.”

Along with writing, he is involved in different things around campus! He’s a member of THON, a tutor in the Writing Center and a writer for the campus literary magazine Shadows of Birds. He hopes to further his creativity by becoming a creative writer, novelist and screenwriter. We haven’t seen the best of him yet! The sky is the limit for Jakim, and who knows, his novels might turn into some of our favorite movies in the future!

Bree McKenney is a senior Professional Writing major at Penn State Berks. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Berks and she's also involved in the Blue&White Society. In addition to that, she is currently an RA, Peer Mentor, Multicultural Mentor, and a S.A.I.L. Mentor. She loves fashion and has been writing style blogs for Her Campus for a year now.