Why Sleep is So Important for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

You may think pulling an all-nighter is working, but in all actuality, it is negatively impacting college students in a major way. According to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, poor sleeping habits among college students can be equal to negative activities such as binge drinking and smoking marijuana. It can even make you sick with a cold or flu.

This can impact performance in class which will ultimately result in poor grades. Of course, it may not seem as though staying up late at night is that much of a big deal, especially in college! With all of the assignments due around the same time, pulling all-nighters have become an essential part of being an undergraduate.

Eight to ten hours of sleep is what is usually recommended by doctors, so if you find it hard being in bed by 10pm, at least make sure you’re able to get the bare minimum eight hours. Practicing getting enough sleep is perfect to do on the weekends when there aren’t any classes to wake up for. If work happens to be a burden on the weekends, just try regularly completing work a little earlier, so you’re able to begin a new routine.

There are plenty of ways to begin trying to get more sleep on a regular basis. If the issue is on a deeper level such as depression or anxiety, schedule a visit with Counseling Services in PSC 10.

Bree McKenney is a senior Professional Writing major at Penn State Berks. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Berks and she's also involved in the Blue&White Society. In addition to that, she is currently an RA, Peer Mentor, Multicultural Mentor, and a S.A.I.L. Mentor. She loves fashion and has been writing style blogs for Her Campus for a year now.