Why Are Princesses Important?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Image from Pexels

There’s a lot of talk about princesses being bad role models. In fairy tales, they wait for their prince to come, they need their prince to break spells, or they have to save him from a curse. Those topics aren’t considered empowering to women.

But there is some good with the bad. These princesses encourage themselves to follow their dreams. They look for ways around obstacles so that they can do what they want. So why does the good have to outweigh the bad?

Modern day, real life princesses do the same thing. The biggest example is Duchess Kate. She isn’t a princess (royal titles are complicated) but she does the same duties as one. She is expected to take care of her family and make appearances by Prince William’s side. She also makes appearances alone for different charities.

If she didn’t have Prince William, she wouldn’t have all of what she has. She wouldn’t live in a beautiful estate, have stunning crowns, or an impeccable wardrobe.

So why is she seen as empowering, and storybook princesses aren’t?

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.