RA Rounds — Kellie Wilson’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

It isn’t uncommon to hear the whispers of the ‘Village Champion’ echo throughout staff meetings and RA get togethers. The Village Champion, or as she more commonly addressed as Kellie Wilson, is known for her being competitive but also being a good role model — both as an RA and a peer mentor.

Kellie, a senior who is graduating with a B.A. in Life Science this May, has been an RA for two years, but has been a peer mentor for three. As a peer mentor, Kellie is responsible for helping with FYS classes, assisting the professors, and having one-on-one with the students. However, the peer mentor job was only a stepping stone in Kellie’s acceptance into the RA position. One of Kellie’s influencers in pursuing the RA position was Saundra Reichel, the director of Campus Life.

“Saundra would say that I was a good role model and that I would make a very good RA because I could connect with students,” Kellie said. A sentiment that is mostly reflected through Kellie’s floor with her residents on second floor Laurel. A stranger entering Kellie’s floors would find several flyers with pictures of Kellie saying quotes and playing basketball posted on the boards of each suite. It is this inviting and lively environment made by her residents that makes this one of Kellie’s favorite parts about the position.

“My residents, they will come to me for anything as far as killing a bug to ‘can you get this off my dresser?’ I’m basically the handy-man — I do everything for them,” Kellie laughed. “My favorite part is connecting with them and being that person they can count on.”

However, believe it or not, Kellie also finds time to exercise her hobbies when not performing RA duties or peer mentoring. A few of Kellie’s hobbies consist of playing basketball, impersonating people and celebrities, and also dancing. “I can dance, I really can. ‘Cause I’m part of this whole drill team back at home,” Kellie said. But Kellie also adds that during her spare time she is notorious in watching Spongebob and playing Plants vs. Zombies.

“Right now, I’m on level 26. My highest level was 32, but then I freakin’ died — I lost all of my lawn mowers,” Kellie added. If her addiction to this game isn’t evident yet, Kellie also mentioned, “I literally spent about $40 buying coins. I’m determined to beat this game.” Even though she is unsure if there is an end to the game.  

But another commonly-known attribute of Kellie is her competitive nature. Being the Captain for the Women’s Basketball team at Berks for three years, Kellie is known for trying to help her team into victory. Kellie provides a prime example of how competitive she can be.

“I was with my friend, and her little brother was up here. He said, ‘C’mon let’s race!’, so I said ok. We mark, set, go and I give him this head start. I then realize ‘Woah, this kid is really fast!’, so I start picking it up. Bottom line, I didn’t let him win — I know I probably should have,” Kellie laughed. 

However, the RA family will most commonly associate Kellie’s competitive nature with her title ‘The Village Champion.’ During RA training, RA’s spend one to two weeks before residents move in during the Fall and Spring semester to prepare new RA’s for the semester to come. Although RA’s are training, there is also time for challenges where the Woods and Village staff compete against one another for fun.

“The village has just dominated in all challenges. Therefore, I am a village champion,” Kellie said. “I mean, nobody else has claimed it!” If Kellie doesn’t take her title seriously enough, it also isn’t uncommon to hear Kellie walk into Woods Coordinator, Adam Torkelson’s office and play her theme song.

“Adam is a fun guy to mess with. Deep down inside, he wants to be a Village Champion — he wants to be me. Adam looks up to me,” Kellie jabbed playfully. “That is why I like to walk into his office with my theme music ‘The Champ is Here’ by Jadakiss.”

With all competition aside, Kellie shows an amazing effort in keeping a relationship with her residents and her fellow RA’s. As the weeks whine down until graduation, Kellie will remember all of her favorite memories in and out of Residence Life at Penn State Berks. Aside from her cap and gown, Kellie also announced that she will be showcasing another fashionable item during graduation: another bow tie.

“Bow ties represent my swag — its the new era,” she answered.

Although Kellie is graduating this May, she is happy to say that she will be going out in a bang. For “RA Rounds” with Kellie, if you remember nothing about this student leader, remember her affinity for basketball, her ability to be a great role model, and her title as ‘The Village Champion’.

All photography used in RA Rounds is supported by Emilio Figueroa, CEO of E.F Photography.

My name is Bianca Sepulveda, but everyone refers to me as Marie Veda. I am a senior at Penn State Berks with a major in Professional Writing and two minors in Business and English. While enrolled at Penn State, I have been a Resident Assistant in the dorms and a tutor in the Writing Center.
Ashley is a senior professional writing major at Penn State.