My Top 10 Christmas Movie Picks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

When I thought about my favorite Christmas movies my list was super long so I had to make some tough heartbreaking decisions when it came to my top ten favorite Christmas movies. Some classic Christmas movies such as The Santa Clause and Home Alone were close but sadly didn’t make it into my top ten. Anyways here are my top ten favorite Christmas movies in no particular order:

1. The Polar Express

This animated movie was adapted from Chris Van Allsburg’s classic children’s book and tells the story of a boy whose friends are beginning to doubt the existence of Santa Clause. He travels to the North Pole to visit Santa Claus and receives the magical gift of a bell, which rings only for those who still believe in Santa Claus. Tom Hanks performs motion-capture for the main character, the train’s conductor, the film’s narrator and Santa Claus in this film that will make everyone believe again.

2. Love Actually

“Love, actually, is all around us.” Sure, it’s a pretty cheesy movie but it just makes you feel so good and happy especially the airport scene in the end.

3. Elf

“Buddy the elf, what’s your favorite color?” This heartwarming tale of Buddy, played by Will Ferrell, who travels to New York to meet his biological father after learning he is not an elf, but in fact a human. But things don’t go so smoothly in a world where most people don’t believe in Santa anymore.

4. Miracle on 34th Street (1994)

This movie is just simply adorable. Six-year old Susan has doubts about Santa Claus, but after meeting a special department-store Santa who convinces her he’s the real thing, Susan gives us all the most precious gift of all, something to believe in.

5. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)

Everything we love about writer/director John Hughes came together perfectly in his second sequel to the popular “Vacation” franchise. Chevy Chase returns as Clark Griswold who really just wants a big old-fashioned family Christmas. What could possibly go wrong?

6. A Christmas Story (1983)

“You’ll poke your eye out!” Despite that reported warning, all Ralphie wants is a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas. This classic Christmas movie is filled with classic gags about a pink bunny suit, tacky leg lamp, and a tongue frozen to a flagpole. I triple-dog-dare you not to laugh.

7. It’s a Wonderful Life

This classic flick tells a story of true love, faith, and believing. Its one of the heaviest Christmas films ever made, dealing with subject matters such as suicide, redemption and greed to name a few. Director Frank Capra brings George Bailey to the brink of despair before Bailey realizes his life has not been a waste, which makes the sentimental ending all the more real and touching. The perfect Christmas movie.

8. The Nightmare Before Christmas

This isn’t your typical Christmas movie but it shows what a creative genius Tim Burton truly is. It tells the tale of Pumpkin King Jack Skellington who longs to spread the joy of Christmas.

9. Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

You may have grown up watching the animated version of this Seuss classic but now you can enjoy the love action story of the Grinch with a heart “two sizes too small” and how he learns the true meaning of Christmas.

10.  The Original Christmas Classics

Okay, okay I know this is technically more than one movie but their all just so good and you can buy them all in one DVD. It comes with seven of your favorites including, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, and the Little Drummer Boy. No holiday season can be complete without them!

Nicollette is a Senior at Penn State Berks and a contributing writer for HerCampus. She is majoring in Journalism and minoring in Business. When she isn't busy running with the cross country team you can find her dreaming about traveling the world, reading, doing yoga, binge watching Netflix or eating unhealthy amounts of peanut butter. She hopes to move down South one day working for a major media outlet. If you want to know more about Nicollette you can follow her on Twitter (@nic_biscanti) or Instagram (@nic_biscan)
Kristy is a senior at Penn State Berks.