April the Giraffe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Image by Pexels

For four days, Facebook has been watching a video of April the Giraffe. She is eventually going to give birth. At this time, it has yet to happen.

I’ve been watching her for the past two days and haven’t seen the views drop below twelve thousand. April is in a birthing pen. You can watch her eat and walk over to see her mate, who is in the pen aside of her. You can also see the baby moving inside her.

Baby animals are cute, but I’m thinking that that capacity to watch live videos for days might have negatively impacted our lives. People keep arguing in the comments over minute details about the giraffe. They are encouraging April, who as far as I know can’t read, to have the baby. I’m not entirely sure I see the good in that.

People from around the globe are watching this feed and are interacting with each other, but have run out of anything productive to say after the first fifteen minutes, let alone four days.

I’ll keep an eye on April, but I can’t sit and watch her for hours on end. I have better things to do than watch a giraffe walk around a pen.

Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.