5 Things to Know if you Want to Live in a Busy City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

1.Always have a maps/transportation app.

• You may know your normal commute route like the back of your hand, but life happens. Say you needed to get on the C train but the C train isn’t coming. Now what do you do? Reroute your commute; pull out your app, and find the next quickest way to get to your destination, or you may have to pay very expensive cab fare. Also if you have your local trans app and have your preferences set to a certain route, you can get updates that say the C train is down, and they will give you the next best train to catch.

2. Try avoiding rush hours.

• There’s nothing more annoying than being late or not getting home fast enough after a rough day just because of traffic. If you know that the train/bus/street will be crowded at 4pm wait a hour or so, or if possible, leave early. Nobody like to be stuck in traffic, whether it’s on public transportation or personal transportation. Traffic is Traffic, and to be quite honest, traffic sucks!

3.But if you can’t..

-Be calm, bring your earbuds, and don’t get too comfortable. Just kidding, it’s rush hour- who knows what’s bound to happen next. Everyone around you is cranky, yourself included. I find that it is best to just get in where you fit in and attempt to keep your cool until you have escaped the madness.

4.Add cushion time on your commute.

• No one likes being late, so add a cushion time for your commute to get to your destination just a tad bit earlier than expected. A good way to do this is to configure how long it takes to get to your destination (ex: 45 minutes)  add a 30 minute time cushion. So you essentially leave your house 1 hour and 15 minutes before the time you are to get there. This also helps you incase you have to reroute yourself due to life issues and, well, life.

5.Never leave without phone charger/invest in a portable charger pack.

• Nothing sucks more than having a dead phone. Always bring your charger and always charge it when you have a chance to, especially if you do not plan on being home anytime soon. Invest in a charger pack for those times that you do not have an outlet nearby. Honestly, that is the best investment I ever made. Even if there is an outlet nearby and it’s occupied already, you won’t need one with your handy charger pack.
Jacinda Soto St. Katherine Drexel Church Attended Cardinal O’Hara High School with a full academic scholarship Sports Cheerleading – captain for 3 consecutive years Varsity Soccer Varsity Track Varsity Swimming – Coach Award   Volunteer Hand in Hand                                                                                             Philadelphia Marathon Philadelphia Union                                                                                   Chester United The William Trippley Foundation                                                                    Golden Touch Sandwich Club                                                                                                              Operation Santa Claus   Activities Archonettes Program - President (Zeta Phi Beta)                                                   National Honor Society                  Peer Counselor                                                                                                                              Adopt a child Sports Manager                                                                                                                             Kairo’s Leader   Internship (summer 2015) CBS                                                                                                                                        WIP   My dreams are to become a Sports Commentator and host my own sports show.