etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Everyone Should Love Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

It seems that Valentine’s Day has become such a negative thing anymore. Maybe people (especially those who don’t have that “someone special”) view the month of February as a time to hate the Valentine’s Day holiday, and things associated with it. What is really perplexing to me is… why? Why, on a day that is meant to celebrate love, is their so much hate? Whether it’s anti-Valentine’s Day parties or individuals whining about not having a date, this holiday, and the month of February in general, can kind of get you down. I just don’t understand; we are all seeking and giving love: love for family, love for friends, love for pets and yes, love for significant others. I understand the mindset of a single person on Valentine’s Day (speaking from years of experience), hating that everyone around you is in love but, if you really think about it, aren’t you as well? While you might not be “in a relationship,” I can almost assure that you are in love. Maybe you are in love with what you’re studying in school; maybe you’re in love with the book you started reading earlier this month that you just can’t put down; maybe you’re in love with your family, or your religion, or BuzzFeed quizzes and donuts! Instead of focusing on the love that you don’t have, try and focus on the love that you do have, and hey, maybe that love is for yourself, and that’s fine.

Basically what I’m getting at is this; can we please stop putting down Valentine’s Day? No, we shouldn’t need a day to tell us to show our love (because we really should be doing that anyway), but sometimes we get caught up with life and forget to appreciate how lucky we are. So this Valentine’s Day, put away the heart shaped piñatas and baseball bats, and focus on the ones you love. Keep this is mind, it’s not called “Boyfriend’s Day,” or “Girlfriend’s Day,” it’s called “Valentine’s Day!” While it can be celebrated as a day to spend with that special someone, it is ultimately just about love, no matter who or what that love is reserved for. 

Photo Credit: 1

I'm a senior project and supply chain management major, who hopes to make it big in this thing called life. I have a style that is practical and classic, and a passion for bunnies, champagne and everything Kate Spade.