This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

It’s true, Erie is a cold, desolate place. It doesn’t have to be boring though! Below is a list of some of the businesses, restaurants, and activities Erie has to offer. (Warning: Erie reallllly likes eating, drinking, and bowling.)

1. Going Out (lol)

There are plenty of bars, wineries, and breweries in Erie so take your pick.

2. Playport

Playport is a family entertainment centre that consists of a large arcade and glow-in-the-dark mini golf. You pay a flat fee at the door and you can play as many games you like! This place is literally fun for all ages.

3. Roller and Ice Skating

source

4. Presque Isle State Park

Presque Isle is known for “fun in the sun” but did you know you can go there year-round? In the winter Presque Isle has ice skating, walking trails, ice fishing, and cross-country skiing. They also, of course, have the beach, kayaking, and the other activities you’d typically think of in the warmer seasons.

5. The two trampoline parks

Why we have two of these is beyond me, but one is near Mercyhurst and the other is by the Millcreek mall so, take your pick.

source

6. Eat (lol) 

There are PLENTY of restaurants in Erie but I wanted to highlight 3 of my favorites:

• 1201 Kitchen: This place is a little more expensive but the food is fantastic. 1201 Kitchen is a trendy Latin-Asian fusion restaurant in Erie. Their menu changes seasonally so you can come back and try something new each time you stop by!
  • Picasso’s: This sandwich shop is by the Millcreek Mall and uses ingredients such as ravioli, bread bowls, and (oddly enough) twinkies! I always come here after going to the mall.
  • Luck Louies Beer and Wieners: I recently came across this place after looking on yelp for new restaurants. While it is a hot dog place, they have crazy combinations of toppings and a wall of different beers to try. It’s pretty cheap in terms of cost but great in terms of quality. I would definitely recommend this for any college student.

7. Erie Zoo

8. Erie Otters, Seawolves, and Bayhawks

Go see Erie’s basketball, hockey, and baseball teams!

9. Tom Ridge Environmental Center

10. Peek’n Peak / Mount Pleasant

Although these aren’t in Erie, they are the closest places to go skiing, snowboarding, and tubing!

source

11. The Gorge by Penn State Behrend

Go for a swim in the summer or a hike or bike ride in the warm seasons!

12. Asbury Woods

Here there are trails to walk during the warm seasons and in the winter they offer snowshoe and ski rentals! They also offer clinics on how to use the equipment in January and February.

13. Waldameer & Water World

source

14. Hooch and Blottos

This Prohibition era-themed sports bar located next to Splash Lagoon also has bowling! Fun fact, on Tuesdays a customer growing a moustache can get 50% off their entrée!

15. Round1 Bowling and Amusement in the Millcreek Mall

16. Bowling

Besides Round1 and Hooch & Blotto’s, there are a few different places in Erie to go bowling that offer specials on food and fees that are worth checking out.

source

17. Splash Lagoon

Splash Lagoon is an indoor water park on Peach Street. I went here for “Senior Skip Day” in high school and my friends and I ended up playing tag in the water park! It makes it especially fun when you can see your friends across the park but you still have to make an effort to track them down since you can’t actually run to get them(water park rules).

18. Escape Game Erie

Escape Game Erie offers a few different escape rooms at two locations for you and your friends to try! If solving riddles isn’t your calling in life they do offer different levels of difficulty.

19. Shopping at Millcreek, Plato’s Closet, and various stores on Peach Street

Peach Street and Millcreek Mall have a plethora of stores to visit! I personally like Plato’s Closet since it has lots of variety but low cost.

20. Bayfront Convention Center

The Convention Center has different expo’s and events you can visit such as the Erie Sport and Travel Expo, the Erie Home and Garden Expo, and a few others! Another idea would be to take a “mini-vacation” with a significant other.

source

21. Warner Theater

The Warner Theater features concerts and shows on a regular basis. Coming up on their schedule includes the acapella group Straight No Chaser and the musicals Chicago and the Sound of Music.

22. The Station Dinner Theatre

I would highly recommend attending one of the shows for their Canterbury Feast. The show is hilarious! The meal even goes along with the theme (every person gets an entire chicken for their main course).

23. Erie Playhouse

The Erie Playhouse has great shows coming up such as Matilda and 42nd Street!

https://media.giphy.com/media/l4KhY4yWGATiaopC8/giphy.gif

24. Erie Maritime Museum

This museum focuses on the Battle of Lake Erie but also has other exhibits about the Great Lakes. You can also tour or schedule to sail on the U.S. Brig Niagara which is a replica of the relief flagship of Commodore Perry.

25. Erie Art Museum

26. Bicentennial Tower

27. Presque Isle Downs and Casino

source

28. Eriez Speedway

source

29. Junker Center Pool

The pool on campus has open hours on a regular basis. Grab some friends and jump in!

30. Mini golf

source

Next time you and your friends go back and forth with “What do you wanna do?” and “I don’t know, what do you wanna do?”, try something on this list! Have fun!

Alex Mozes

PS Behrend '20

Alex Mozes Senior at Penn State Behrend Mechanical Engineering Technology Major President of Tone-Acious: The Behrend Acapella Group Treasurer of HerCampus Behrend Chapter Tutor for Writing, Physics, and Solid Modeling
Andrea Gáez

PS Behrend '19

From Panama.xx