you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Time Management for the Extremely Busy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Extra Time? Whaattt? How to Manage Your Time Like A Pro!

We only have but so much time in any given day. 24 hours a day, 168 hours in a week. It seems like there is always so much to be done, and never enough time. We all wish that we had more hours in the day to workout, sleep, get things done, watch Netflix, etc. Fortunately, it is not too hard to learn how to use those 24 hours a day to your advantage. Personally, I used to be super unorganized until I started following a lot of the following tips. I used to manage to bury myself in a hole of responsibilities, commitments, and sadness (due to Netflix withdrawal), but now I am always caught up on the newest seasons of my favorite shows. This process is not an overnight thing; it takes some minor adjustments in order to have a major positive effect on your life. Here are 5 tips to help you become a time managing pro:

1. Don’t procrastinate – This tip is a lot harder to do than most people think. I used to procrastinate all the time. I would become so stressed out because a 3 week away deadline turned into a 3 hour away deadline. I would always ask myself, “Why did I do this to yet again?” Something had to change. One way to combat the call of procrastination is by doing little by little each day. It’s all about reminding yourself that it needs to get done, and actually taking the time to do it. Setting a reminder on your phone can be very helpful for this type of thing. Another thing that I find helps is adding incentives to getting work done earlier than needed. For example, if I do my homework four days earlier than before it’s due, I reward myself with anything from something small like a fancy coffee or something larger like a new shirt.
  2. Use a planner/agenda – This saved my life, honestly I think a planner is one of the best things invented since drive-thru Starbucks. Have you ever told yourself, “Oh I don’t need to write this down, I’ll remember it”? Then a week later your getting a call from your very confused friends wondering where you are because you forgot. It has happened to most of us, most of us are guilty of relying on our brains to remember events, assignments, etc. A planner helps to give you and your brain a break. Imagine how amazing it would be to look in this magical book and see everything you have to do for the week beautifully laid out for you. It is totally possible, look at this article on planner organizing, here.
  3. Set deadlines for yourself – This goes hand in hand with the “don’t procrastinate” tip. One thing that I find helps reduce stress is having deadlines way ahead of the due date. You’ll have your assignment done way before it actually has to be turned in which will free up a ton more time. Less time staying up stressing out = more sleep or Netflix or both
  4. Mix up your sleep schedule – Finding an optimal productive time will help with managing your time. Some of us are early birds and others are night owls, so finding your niche can make all the difference. I used to stay up to all hours of the night, but now I take advantage of both the nighttime and the mornings. Learning which one is your peak for productivity will help you free up time later down the road.
  5. It’s okay to say no – As a college student, the amount of things I get asked to do in a week is insane. From attending events to hanging out with friends, the options of what you do are endless. Knowing how to say no is a valuable tool because you can’t always sacrifice your time in order to please others. There are instances where you need to take time for yourself, your academics, or whatever it may be, and saying no frees up that time. Like my parents used to say, “You can’t please everyone”.

These are just a few tips that I have noticed have helped me regain not only my weekends, but also my sanity. Best of luck!

Photo Credits: 1 2 3 4

Miles Turner

PS Behrend

The way to my heart is through my coffee. Coffee addict, animal lover, and aspiring yogi. Finance/Spanish Major, International Business Minor PSU '19
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.