This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Edited

New York City has always been a place to travel to for a fun road trip or short weekend getaway. I’m the type of person that absolutely loves big cities and something always happening, so, therefore, I’m a huge fan of NYC. While we had a little time off, a few friends and I decided to get in the car and make our way to NYC for a little winter break trip. 

I have been to New York a few times before, but I don’t live or spend the majority of my time in the city. Because I have the perspective of someone who doesn’t live there, I thought I would tell just a little bit about my winter trip to NYC through the eyes of a visitor. The first thing my friends and I found is that we went at one of the busiest times of the year for a trip to NYC, and we found it extremely difficult to actually find a place to stay. But, after some searching and talking to friends, we found a place to stay that was nice but not an arm and a leg to book. If you’re planning to go to the city, definitely book a lot further in advance than we did (and maybe not so close to New Years). NYC was extremely busy, honestly it was one of the busiest I have ever seen it. I don’t mind large crowds and a hectic environment so it didn’t really bother me much, but if you want a slower time of the year, winter may not be your best bet. 

Where many say to be aware of the cold in NYC, coming from Erie, PA, and it actually not being that cold out, we seemed to have no problem weather-wise. I was a little sad that we didn’t get to see any snow at all because I thought it would be beautiful. 

The best part about our short little trip was seeing all the stuff still up for the holidays. As someone who loves to shop and be in and out of stores, it was gorgeous to see winter displays. It was great to be able to see all of the sparkle and lights. I love going to the downtown area of my hometown every year during the holiday season just to see the decorations for the festive feeling and all the lights. Think smalltown Christmas cheer, but amplified in New York. Even though the Christmas season was just ending when we went, it gave us the chance to still feel a little festive. 

This trip was interesting for my friends and I because as a collective we decided to ditch our phones and not be so worried about constantly posting. We wanted to really have a fun trip and not worry about spending hours trying to take the right photo. As a collective, we tried to stay off of our phones as much as possible and enjoy our few days in the city with the company of each other. We did get to go to one of our favorite coffee shops in NYC (Ludlow Coffee Supply, in lower Manhattan) it’s a must-stop anytime we find ourselves in NYC. I felt the best to document that since it’s one of our favorite quiet and comfortable places in NYC. 

All images taken by myself

Tiffany Zinn

PS Behrend

Ramsey Struble

PS Behrend '21

Penn State Behrend//Biology Pre-Optometry